Sync Itunes playlists after mp3 files moved to new folder

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Good afternoon all,

I've just installed MediaMonkey this afternoon (finally had it with itunes unfriendly interface). Before installing MediaMonkey I collected all of my music and put it/them into a new folder on my pc hard drive. I also deleted all duplicate music folders and files before downloading and installing. All of my music now resides under one, new, parent folder tree.

Upon installation, I told MediaMonkey where to go and all of my music imported beautifully. I also told MediaMonkey to import my Itunes Playlists. It now shows all of the playlists and songs I created in itunes but the actual music files are not available (because I changed the file location).

Is there a way to direct MediaMonkey to the new parent file that now houses all music and ask it to retrieve the corresponding selections and sync back to the playlists?

I could recreate each playlist manually but that would obviously require a lot of work. I hope I've explained this well. Any help is appreciated.
Best,
Bryan
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

How long does it usually take for a post to be approved, posted and responded to?

I thought I would come back and add a few photos for extra info but after a few hours, my original post still isn't showing. Also, it appears that I can't copy/paste an image to this message board? I see an icon for an image above but it just adds funny symbols like this. Image

I wanted to update the post to say that I've tried "Add / Locate missing files" but it's not working.

MM has gotten some really good reviews which is why I downloaded the gold version but honestly, I'm have some doubts as I get into it here in these first couple of hours. I want something user friendly. I'm not a programmer or techy and don't want to be. My next steps, after getting the original catalog and playlists organized will be an attempt to manage the music on my iphone and ipod. I hope that process goes a little more smoothly than this one.

Your kind assistance is appreciated.
Best,
Bryan
Lowlander

Re: Sync Itunes playlists after mp3 files moved to new folder

Post by Lowlander »

No, however you can edit Playlist files in any Text Editor (like Notepad) and change the Paths on them. You can use the Replace function in Notepad to change for example the drive for all files or any part of the Path that has changed for all files. Once the Playlist files have been corrected and point to the existing files you can scan them in.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In behalf of MediaMonkey Team I first want to welcome you. Secondly wanted to apologize for annoying security measures, but unfortunately it is there for the reason and it should be easy with few more posts after security clears you out.

Regarding Locate moved missing tracks, can you tell me in result dialog what TAB showed searched tracks?

My guessing is that they show in Not located tab which usually means that Grayed tracks are already assigned new track ID and cant be relocated to that ID as it would produce duplicates. Process is fairly Simple Delete new Folder with playable tracks from MMW library (ONLY Library)and repeat Locate search which should result in correct relocating of Gray tracks IDs. After you are sure that all playlist work and there is no gray tracks (Unless they are really missing) you can reascan new folder and enjoy your migration to MediaMonkey.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

I've taken another run at this with no luck. Here's what I did.

1. Navigate to imported Itunes playlist in MM.
2. The titles are all there but they are grayed out.
3. For this trial run, I've selected a playlist that comes from two albums by the same artist.
4. I select all songs in the playlist and proceed to File - Locate Moved/Missing Folders
5. I navigate to the correct folder on my pc hard drive and select the file for that artist.
6. The "locate moved or missing files" window pops up.
7. There are three tabs on this window.
Files located in New Locations is blank
Unmoved files is blank
Unlocatable Files is populated - it shows all of the songs I'm looking for. Each song title has a check in the box beside it.
8. I select the "update" button.
9. Nothing happens

The file path from the old itunes folder is shown below. It shows them as .m4a files. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
C:\Users\Bryan\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Fleetwood Mac\The Dance\02 Dreams.m4a
I attempted to do a copy/paste of all of the songs in the playlist to notepad but they did not come into notepad accurately.

Next, I opened a word document and manually updated the file path for each song as follows:
C:\Users\Bryan\Documents\Bryan’s music\Fleetwood Mac\The Dance\02 Dreams.m4a

However, once I did that and went back into the "locate moved or missing files" window, I was not able to paste the new file paths into that window. I assume the new file paths should go onto the first tab "Files located in new locations is blank" but again, I wasn't able to paste.

What do you suggest next? Do you happen to have a tutorial with screenshots and steps for notepad or other solution?

Thanks,
Bryan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said, edit the Playlist files from iTunes before you import them into MediaMonkey with Notepad and change the Paths to valid Paths (where the files currently reside and with the correct filename). Then import the Playlists into MediaMonkey with Add/Rescan Files.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

I appreciate your help but I'm still not getting it. Am I the first one to ever post this question? Is there a visual aid or tutorial available? Is there a way to copy/paste images into this forum for our improved communication?

Here is a copy/paste from Apple's help website. I was looking for a way to display the file path in Itunes so I could attempt to follow your instructions by copy/pasting the tracks and file paths into notepad. I've not found a way to do that. The QA below says it's not possible for a list of tracks.

I am trying to get iTunes to show me where songs are located on my computer, How do I get this to show up in iTunes? Thank you
Right-click the track in the library, and choose Show in Windows Explorer.
If you were hoping to get the file path displayed in a column, as is possible in Windows Media Player, note that iTunes does not have that ability.

So, my questions remain.
Specifically, how do I edit the playlist files in Itunes?
After the playlist files are edited, specifically, how do I import them into Notepad?
What are the steps to complete once they are imported into Notepad to update the file paths? How to replace all function?
How do I import into MM from Notepad with Add/Rescan Files? What are the steps for this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To post images: https://imgbb.com/

You need to export the Playlist as files from iTunes, open them in Notepad to edit the Paths, then import them in MediaMonkey. That's all. I don't think any of the other ways you keep attempting will work.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

I've had MM for two days. I signed up for the gold package based on positive reviews but honestly, I'm not satisfied. I'm not a techy but I'm not an idiot either. I've asked several times, in several different ways, for a solution to what I would expect is not an entirely uncommon or complex problem. No offense to you or anyone else at MM but you haven't been able to provide me with a workable solution. The one line answers aren't helping me solve the problem.

Would it be possible for me to get a refund? Obviously I'm happy to unistal MM. The reason I selected MM is because I wanted something that would interface with iphone/ipad and perhaps an android product down the road. We can't even get past the basic setup functions so I haven't attempted the others yet. I'm looking for a user friendly experience. I don't think this is it for me personally.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It really is that simple, not as complicated as you try to do it.

1) Export Playlists from iTunes: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... other-apps
2) Open a Playlist in Notepad
3) Change the Path of each file to the correct location for the files (use Replace if all files need the same change)
4) Save file in Notepad
5) Repeat for all Playlists
6) Import Playlists into MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... he_Library

If you don't understand something ask about that specific thing.

The problem you're having is because you moved the files, while Playlists point to these files. When using Playlists or Libraries (like MediaMonkey and iTunes) you should restrict file movement outside these programs as otherwise the files will be "lost" (Dead Links) to the Playlists or programs.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Hi, like I said, I don't think MM is going to fit my needs. I appreciate your help but I've moved on to another solution. I have uninstalled the software and you can deactivate the license code.

Again, since I never really used the software, I would like to request a refund. That seems like the right thing to do in this case. Hopefully you'll agree.

Please let me know.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A refund needs to be requested from Support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/