ID3 tags...App writes to the Comment field & text doesn't show up in MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

telstar

ID3 tags...App writes to the Comment field & text doesn't show up in MM

Post by telstar »

Hello & thanks for looking.

I use an app called tuneXplorer which reads a song file and determines BPM and Song Key and inserts this info into the file's tag. I sort on MM's Comment field to find songs which are in certain keys.

I currently use MediaMonkey, v4.1.16

When I view the music file Tags in Windows Explorer I can see the BPM has been written to file by tuneXplorer. I also see the Song Key written into the songs Comment field (first text position).

However, when I am in MediaMonkey, in many cases, I do not see the Song Key in the Comment field (supposed to be first text position), even though it shows up in Windows Explorer.

Note: when there was no previous text in MM's comment field I can always see the song key in MM after inserted by tuneXplorer. In the case "where previous text was in MM's Comment field" Song Key viewing results were random. Some showed the song key, others not. Although all were viewed in Windows Explorer.

********************************************************************************************************
Here is an Example of missing song key: This is what I see in MediaMonkey (please observe: no Song Key text is shown in the first position.)
=======================================================
File Name: I Got A Woman (Live) - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (256bpm).mp3
Comment Field: Amazon.com Song ID: 216673056
=======================================================
When I go into Windows Explorer I see the Comment text shows the Song Key in "E":
===========================
Comment Field: E - Amazon.com Song ID: 216673056
===========================
Song Key of E in the Comment field is visible.
********************************************************************************************************
Another observation: tuneXplorer ID3 Tags supports ID3v2.4

Note: I've gone into MediaMonkey settings and I have found an area in one of the dialogs which has some comments regarding IDv3 tags.

In MediaMonkey it is located at Tools=>Options=>Library->Tags and Playlists.

MediaMonkeys dialog shows:

There are several options for MM's Tag "store mp3 file properties using"
  • ID3v1 and v2 tags (I think this is the default. This is what I use.), or
    ID3v1 tags, or
    ID3v2 tags
Am I using the correct ID3 tag(s) setting?

Because in many cases the Song Key is observed in MM's Tag file, I can infer that MM has some compatibility with ID3v2.4 used in tuneXplorer.

Bottom Line: MediaMonkey isn't seeing all the text in the "Comment Field."

Can anyone provide any insight on this & get me up & running. I am not an expert on IDv3 tags.

Thanks for your help!
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)
Peke

Re: ID3 tags...App writes to the Comment field & text doesn't show up in MM

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please send me one problematic files Download URL in PM so that we can analyze it?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
telstar

Post by telstar »

Hello Pavle,

I didn't quite understand how you wanted me to send an example, however, I created a .zip file that you should be able to grab from DropBox. I hope you can get this. If not, please state more clearly. I'm not sure what
Download URL in PM...
means??

When you un-zip the file, you will see to song files and a MSWord doc explaining the different behavior of each music file's Comments field.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49eh4uac8yrse ... d.zip?dl=0

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers!

JimK
telstar
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaInfo shows you added the key to the ID3v1 Comment

Code: Select all

Comment: Amazon.com Song ID: 216673057
ID3v1 Comment: G - Amazon.com Song ID: 216673057
but left the comment field as is for Carol (Live) - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (256bpm).mp3 So the problem is that there are 2 comment fields in the files tags.

This isn't an issue with And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles.mp3 as it has only 1 comment field and thus the correct data is shown.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
App that adds Initial key should support IKEY tag field (I use MixedInKey) or be sure that it updates both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

MM5 Natively support Initial Key Tag in Library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts