[SOLVED] Move library (etc) with symlink?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Linwood

[SOLVED] Move library (etc) with symlink?

Post by Linwood »

I like having all related items grouped together on disk for backup and restore and visibility reasons.

I've read how to move the library, but it leaves the ini files, etc.

Is there any reason that the library and associated files can't be moved from \AppData\Roaming to another drive by just creating a symlink for \MediaMonkey? I.e. just move the whole thing?

I'm not suggesting this is for everyone; but asking if there are some inherent aspects to the program that do not work and play nicely with a symlink there? Some brief experimenting (with MM5 beta) seemed to work fine.

Thanks; Linwood
Peke

Re: Move library (etc) with symlink?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Actually this is easy. If you during MMW install Select Portable Install then if you Install MMW to C:\MMWPortable then all your settings will be in that folder and you can move it around from one PC to another it will work same if you have access to your media on PC That you start MMW.

I personally have all my music on NAS and My library points to UNC paths of My NAS so any PC in My local network or those that connect over VPN to My LAN can play it. eg. I created myself own personal cloud.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

Sounds simple enough. Is there any downside to using portable mode? (Maybe the reverse question is easier -- why used installed mode at all?)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
A: Simple a System Integration, for Portable you need to create shortcuts/pins and MM Portable can't play on double click in explorer unless manually assigned.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

Makes sense. Thanks.