Multiple Computers Sharing One Database with Wine?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

David Hillman

Multiple Computers Sharing One Database with Wine?

Post by David Hillman »

Does anyone have multiple computers setup sharing one MM database with one of the computers running MM under WINE -- the Linux non-emulator?

I am starting from the Knowledge Base Multiple Computer Instructions at https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... s--devices.

MM on WINE works fine with a standard install. I can even get MM to read the shared database and show the contents of my library ( with my ratings and play-counts ), by creating symbolic links from the WINE directory structure to the Kubuntu filesystem where the share is mounted. Unfortunately, MM hangs as soon as I try to play a song.

The library and the shared database file are all housed on NAS. At the moment, I have two computers I am trying to configure to share that library and db; one is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Kubuntu 19.04 laptop. The Kubuntu system has WINE installed, and has the appropriate NAS filesystem nfs mounted, and that mount is world-writable. Behavior remains the same even if I power-off the Windows machine, or quit the MM application there.

I have tried various methods of pointing to the shared database. I created a symbolic link for the entire MediaMonkey directory, I created a link just for the MM.DB file, I tried different methods of specifying the database location in the INI file, etc. Most of them worked, but again, only as far as the initial read of the database. Anything beyond that causes the application to hang and become unresponsive.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Peke

Re: Multiple Computers Sharing One Database with Wine?

Post by Peke »

Change MMW output to Wave Mapper and delete/Rename all other OUT_ Plugins by adding "off." prefix.

Also if you have issues with MP3 Playback you can try use http://www.happymonkeying.com/plugin.php?q=300019 or any other MP3 Winamp Input plugin.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts