volume leveling - prospective customer

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

daveyjones700

volume leveling - prospective customer

Post by daveyjones700 »

Guys - forgive me for a greenie post but I wanted to hear it from the forum. I read that MM does volume leveling (your gold version anyway) and volume diffs in my music files has been an unresolved plague for me for years, trying to finally tackle it. I just want to know if V.L. in MM actually works consistently. I have tried MP3gainpro and it definitely did not work. I can afford to buy it and all that and I don't care if MM sets all files to 89db, that's plenty high for me, I just play them through an mp3 player and home stereo (and car stereo via USB stick). I just don't want my time wasted. I want to set the thing to a gain level, load up the files, and have them all come out the same volume. Sorry to be a curmudgeon about it. Thanks. 8)
Lowlander

Re: volume leveling - prospective customer

Post by Lowlander »

For me it does. When syncing leveled to devices it sounds leveled to me. I mainly use Analyze Volume though and that's successful too.
daveyjones700

Post by daveyjones700 »

thanks Lowlander, appreciate the input!
daveyjones700

Post by daveyjones700 »

revisting this thread for a little more clarification. Hate to be a prig but I'm not sure MM does simultaneous conversion-leveling, only realtime play-leveling, per below Gold description, bottom para ( "...levels track volume on-the-fly...") . I want something that will rewrite a batch of files, all with a new consistent (to eachother) file level. I'm not going to be using MM as a player/organizer, using it as a converter/writer/leveler only. Any comments? Thanks.
================================================================

Auto-Conversion and Leveling

Auto-conversion allows you to automatically sync, share (over DLNA) or burn tracks, converting tracks on-the-fly to a format that is supported by your iPod/iPhone or other portable device or CD/DVD/DLNA player, while retaining all metadata.

Auto-conversion can also convert tracks to lower bitrates to make more effective use of the limited storage capacity on a portable device. This is especially useful for lossless music collections, which can't fit on a portable device.

In addition, Auto-leveling levels track volume on-the-fly so that tracks play at a steady volume on CDs/DVDs and on devices that don't support volume leveling (i.e. most devices besides iPods).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Analyze Volume calculates a volume difference and any player compatible with this will play at the same level. This is best as it leaves the audio unchanged, but only works with supported software/hardware.

Level Volume changes the audio to the same volume and works on all software/hardware. However this changes the audio and may be undesirable for some.

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... veling/4.0