[SOLVED] .rss file cannot be opened

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kaichandler

[SOLVED] .rss file cannot be opened

Post by kaichandler »

For some time I've noticed a number of errors when starting MM to state that an .rss file cannot be opened. I get several of these each time. The files don't exist. See screenshot at https://ibb.co/6wqqG9j for an example.

How can I resolve this so I don't get annoying notifications? What's the root cause?

Thanks
Peke

Stop iTunes starting when I plug in iPod

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That RSS was imported from TEMP location where instead of Copy Original RSS Link to MM Subscription panel browser downloaded RSS and you subscribed to Local file.

To solve that I would suggest to go to Original page, Copy subscription link/shortcut and paste it into Podcast URL field replacing false link to local RSS file.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kaichandler

Re: Stop iTunes starting when I plug in iPod

Post by kaichandler »

I think you are asking me to resubscribe to the podcast. Is there any way of working out from the rss file which is the suspect podcast? Alternatively, is there a way to suppress the notifications if I can't work this out. Perhaps a drastic approach, but could I unsubscribe to all my podcasts and then resubscribe? I guess some or most are no longer wanted.

Thanks
Peke

Re: .rss file cannot be opened

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Changing Subscription URL to existing podcast is not re-subscription , actually it is very common when podcasters switch hosts and you want to keep your old downloaded podcasts but update to new URL of Podcast.

No, unfortunately as file do not exist and even if it exists it do not point originating URL of podcast, so you would need to obtain it manually and replace in Podcast.

To stop Showing the Dialog you need to delete Podcast URL (in Sunscriptions -> Right click -> Edit Podcast) for each one MM reports bad filename and press OK to update edit.

Root cause was that instead of parsing URL to RSS so that MM can manage podcast MM received downloaded RSS file of podcast and once Windows maintenance removed temporart downloaded RSS from Temp folder MM do not have way to read it.

Please note that if temp local RSS file is added as podcast then it will not be updated due the fact it was one time download.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kaichandler

Re: .rss file cannot be opened

Post by kaichandler »

Thanks, now resolved by unscubscribing to a few unwanted subscriptions.