Internet explorer and changing file extensions

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Internet explorer and changing file extensions

Post by nohitter151 »

Its pretty commonly known by now that when .mmip installers are downloaded off of internet explorer, the file extensions are automatically changed to .zip. I just wanted to play around on IE so that I could see if there was some setting that could be changed to fix this issue, or if using "Save target as..." had any different effect.

So I opened up IE and tried downloading an .mmip. However, it downloaded just fine, no file extension change to .zip! Is the issue only related to an older version of IE (I was running IE7), or is it possibly because I am on Vista but have UAC disabled?

Anyone that knows what happens when using internet explorer 7 on XP? Maybe it has something to do with what language you're using?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I am on a Vista x32 machine using English as my native language and I have trouble with most Mmip files. I also have UAC disabled, using IE7. Hope this info helps in your search, cause it is real annoying.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Peke

Post by Peke »

Most likely it is due unregistered MIME Types :( I use FireFox. and Have .MMIP in Mime Types under Folder Options -> File Types.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Peke wrote:Most likely it is due unregistered MIME Types :( I use FireFox. and Have .MMIP in Mime Types under Folder Options -> File Types.
My mmip files are associated to MM, but I still have the problem. Good suggestion though. Do you think it has something to do with the unzip program installed??

Nyn

Peke

Post by Peke »

I do not think so (Althru I do not have it). When You open MMIP on File Types There should be MIME Type under Advanced Properties.
Best regards,
Peke
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I do not see an option to get to advanced properties, any suggestions?

Nyn

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

If you're talking about downloading an MMIP file from my website then I used a clever PHP trick to force IE to not rename the file. :D
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

trixmoto wrote:If you're talking about downloading an MMIP file from my website then I used a clever PHP trick to force IE to not rename the file. :D
haha very tricky, though I was downloading one of my own.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

as i mentioned on the wiki and some other posts using a download manager has no trouble with renaming them it just don't do it.

but using windows ie download manager it changes them in ie7 on winxp pro.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

No problems here. But this kind of problems is know to happen with Internet Explorer (haven't noticed yet, but think it's mostly with older versions). It also depends on how the server serves the files (and that's why there are tricks for that, like Trixmoto mentioned).

BTW: I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 with mmip extension registered to MM 3.0.2 and I'm downloading with IE7.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Same here with Both Firefox and IE7 on XP SP2 (Pathed 17/02/2008 bat it also worked before).
Best regards,
Peke