Duplicate finder/remover that really works?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

forinfinity

Duplicate finder/remover that really works?

Post by forinfinity »

I have tried over 5 of them and they all have one flaw, similar filenames confuse them. I have a big problem, I left my music collection in the care of someone who instead of making playlists, made folders inside of folders copying the mp3's to them and now for many songs I have from 4 to 8 duplicates. Is there a software, that I can run, that will scan through the 200k songs I have and check for corrupt and duplicate songs? I can probably reduce the collection down to under 150k without losing any originals if the software really worked.

Something that looks atthe code or tags or something to detemine if it truly is a dupe, and then give the option to move them off the drive for inspection and later deleting.

Anything out there that you all know of that really works?
Lowlander

Re: Duplicate finder/remover that really works?

Post by Lowlander »

If your duplicates are actual duplicates of the same file, but have different filenames and/or tags you might find the Files to Edit > Duplicate Content node useful. It uses the audio to compare files so filenames and tags don't matter. You will need to enable the option to "Analyze tracks for duplicates" in Tools > Options > Library and use Add/Rescan Tracks again. Take into account that this slows down the Add/Rescan Tracks process.
Bex

Post by Bex »

You could try my duplicate script, link in signature, it should give you some of the functionality you're looking for.
Also check out trixmoto's duplicate report script. (search for it)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
MarkBenson

Post by MarkBenson »

I have recently used 3 different duplicate finder /Remover but it is just confusing and need so much work on that.It gives all files list of duplicate file.but it is too hard to decide which one is original file.
ruleeet

Post by ruleeet »

Which one have yuo used?
TLD11474

Post by TLD11474 »

Does anyone know if it does comparison of the VIDEO data for MPG and AVI files? It's listing a bunch of duplicates, but some of mine were from a hard drive recovery, and I need to be sure before deleting them that it's checking video, too... otherwise my audio might be intact, but the video could be horrendous. :)
Asmineing

Post by Asmineing »

It uses the audio to compare files so filenames and tags don't matter. You will need to enable the option to "Analyze tracks for duplicates" in Tools > Options > Library and use Add/Rescan Tracks again. Take into account that this slows down the Add/Rescan Tracks process.