what operating system do you use

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

are you also having troubles with mm 4 that you can't get fixed yourself.

You may select up to 4 options

View results

rovingcowboy

what operating system do you use

Post by rovingcowboy »

for me it is xp pro sp3. 8)

forgot to say in this message but yes i'm having tons of trouble with mm 4 i can not get fixed by doing anything here.

now that said.

this is also not just to find out what systems are being used.

but is its also to find out what systems are having the most trouble with mediamonkey, so as to give an idea of
what areas the cause of the errors might be located in.
like the area dealing with code for ??? system.

as we all know microsoft loves to changed their op's code's each new version.

8)
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Eyal

Re: what operating system do you use

Post by Eyal »

PC = XP Pro SP2. I'm planning to upgrade to XP 64-bit.
Laptop = Vista.

Win 7? No thanks.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Eyal wrote:-----cut out of message to comment on this one part of it.------ Win 7? No thanks.

so far i've got to say thats a huge AGREEDwith by me. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
fizzjob

Post by fizzjob »

At work I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

At home, I use Ubuntu Linux, dual booting with XP.
vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman »

Windows 7 Ultimate. It kicks every other older versions' @ss. I don't understand why anyone would want to stay with the outdated and ugly XP. (let's not talk about Vista)

Win7 is by far the best windows OS ever released. Feature - full, easy to use (aero snap, aero peek etc.), easy to tweak / configure, incredibly stable and beautiful.

Anyone not using Win7 is missing A LOT!!! I seriously couldn't go back : aero snap for example has become ingrained in the way I use a computer. It's the first time I witness Windows implement such a natural, almost reflex like feature.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I used to be on XP.
Then I migrated to win7. ( Same computer )

I prefer the win7 interface. I used to struggle with managing windows in xp.

Imo Seven has a better UI:
I can get to what I want faster.
I can use more with less clutter.

Also it looks modern and the interface is way more fluid thanks to gpu acceleration.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

vpsaxman wrote:Windows 7 Ultimate. It kicks every other older versions' @ss. I don't understand why anyone would want to stay with the outdated and ugly XP. (let's not talk about Vista)

Win7 is by far the best windows OS ever released. Feature - full, easy to use (aero snap, aero peek etc.), easy to tweak / configure, incredibly stable and beautiful.

Anyone not using Win7 is missing A LOT!!! I seriously couldn't go back : aero snap for example has become ingrained in the way I use a computer. It's the first time I witness Windows implement such a natural, almost reflex like feature.
vpsaxman, I couldn't agree more. I have just got back from visiting a "PC Mad" friend who will not budge from XP.
I now struggle to use his PC. I am so glad to be back at my own Win7x64 Ultimate. These old XP'ers are so dyed in the wool they close their ears to our experience and recommendation to please use Win7. Each to his own, it's their choice.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i don't like win 7 cause it does not give me the flexabilty to customize the entire os like xp does.
i have to use their stupid desktop customizer which is a peice of junk i don't want white backgrounds
i have an huge dislike of them and can barely stand surfing the web because of all the white used. people it aint paper
stop treating the web like a peice of paper.

i've tried to customize this laptop win 7 my sister got and it just won't let me and she don't even like the stuff it does.,
but she uses it for some items it does for her work. but the dadblasted laptop is off more then it is on per month. its been used i think 40 times in the last year.
xp is on this desktop and it is used daily.

win7 is made to make you get use to doing things ms's way then they will move you to all net apps and give you a dummy terminal so they control your actions, i'm not going that route. i'll fight the borgs every step of the way. 8)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Personally Win 7 is one small step closer to OS X in way of usage.

Regarding Win 7 customization. I do not see any issues of doing whatever you wanna do, things are even easier than on XP. As with any other software it is not perfect and you need to get used to but overall it is one step forward and I have tested all Windows versions from Win 1.0 till Win 7.

RC give me example what you can't customize?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

the desktop theme backround color for the text area it won't let me change it from the white. it insists on it being the way ms wants it. all i can use is their way to change the desktop theme,

i've gave up on it as said and so has my sister that is why she only uses it when she needs to make something for her job as this xp does not have a working version of excel on it and that one has the latest version of it so she uses that.

but i got all 3 of these other xp pro's set up and can use any number of tweaks in them to do what i want i might just be use to the geeky changing of things but i can't even figure that out on the win7 i don't like that double program files folder either. the shortcuts never stay where i put them they won't allow me to set the default locations for the downloads to go too they want them where they want them, i don't like the documents and settings folder being the default for all the stuff.
i want the folders i want and it won't let me pick them.

i don't like the icons they don't look good and i want to use the ones i made but mine won't change sizes and are small ones
so they are like using 32 x 32 on a a 2000 x 1800 screen not useful at all.

the second day out of the box the laptop blew the motherboard and was sent back for a new one from dell and since then it has been the whole use of the computer since then one day a month or so.

some of the features have won over my sister but not eveything and she don't like to tinker with things anyway, i don't like
the do it all for me things, those drive me nuts when i try and customize them.

but back on subject this thread is to find out who has trouble with what version on mm 4, so we can see what is the most common area that is in need of work in mm 4.

:D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

there's a big bunch of bananas for you on the exit limb peke :D :lol:
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Peke wrote:Regarding Win 7 customization. I do not see any issues of doing whatever you wanna do, things are even easier than on XP. As with any other software it is not perfect and you need to get used to but overall it is one step forward and I have tested all Windows versions from Win 1.0 till Win 7.
Peke, like me you have used Windows since day One. I remember teaching my office of Mainframe users how to use WfWg 3.11 - only reason I knew was coz I has 3.11 at home. I am in the silver surfer age group and try to move with the times and not get left behind. I've used Win 7 since it's first RC version; Win 7 is a breath of fresh air.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

rovingcowboy wrote:i don't like that double program files folder either. the shortcuts never stay where i put them they won't allow me to set the default locations for the downloads to go too they want them where they want them, i don't like the documents and settings folder being the default for all the stuff. i want the folders i want and it won't let me pick them.
Double program files - one holds my 64 bit programs, the other contains 32bit programs. Makes sence to me.
Shortcuts never stay where i put them - mine do.
They won't allow me to set the default locations for the downloads to go too they want them where they want them - My downloads Always go to the downloads folder of my choosing, never where they wanna put 'em.
I don't like the documents and settings folder being the default for all the stuff. i want the folders i want and it won't let me pick them - my documents and settings folder is on a separate drive, my D:\drive, with all my other data, I decide where my data lives not the OS.
RC, I am not trying to convince you or any one else to change to Win7. However it seems to me that many of your Cannot Dos are in fact acheiveable in Win7.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

must be the learning curve then as i can't get it to work here on the dell laptop. i don't like the 32 and 64 folders its just one more place i have to look as it puts them in the folder of its choice. maybe its something dell did in its os install?
but it really is a pain in the a... here. i've got that program from peke so i'll see what i can do with it. 8)