what operating system do you use

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

are you also having troubles with mm 4 that you can't get fixed yourself.

You may select up to 4 options

14%
No votes
5%
8%
5%
5%
30%
16%
11%
5%

Total votes: 37

Shiny Rabbit

Re: what operating system do you use

Post by Shiny Rabbit »

Windows 7 Enterprise because it's the one I installed on my PC

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. MediaMonkey 4 (unless I forget to update this)
China-Rising

Post by China-Rising »

Windows 7 ultimate for me.

I got it on the day of release. I love it, although I actually liked Vista which most hated.
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

i using win7 ultimate.i really like its ease of use and i find it east to do anything.looks good and hasnt crashed on me yet.good on resources (for a windows machine).like everything about it.
but i would rather be running ubuntu.something called mediamonkey keeps me from the changeover lol.i dont wanna have to dual boot.
sapo_joe

Post by sapo_joe »

I'm on windows 7 Ultimate on all PCs and the laptop, all in 32 bit fashion...

Only regret about it is that Microsoft almost killed sound hardware support, thinking people would be satisfied with crappy onboard audio...

Anyway, it's a very good and stable, pretty looking OS!
davidchatman

Post by davidchatman »

I use Windows 7, 64-bit.
Pman

Post by Pman »

I used to use Vista for over 3 years until I got a Blue Screen of Death and couldnt get my laptop to restart to the desktop.
Being lazy to change for that long ,I finally had an excuse to change and so I got Windows 7 Ultimate (around May) which i have to say is miles better than Vista.

Windows 7 should have been Vista because its a well polished os and all the little touches like the better Wireless management and the Windows snap make all the difference. However on ocassions it does run a little slow, similar to Vista but on the whole its a good operating system.

However I have to agree with malachisecretspy because literally a few weeks after installing W7, i had a friend install Linux Mint, which is basically Ubuntu but easier to use especially for a Windows user and man that os is sooooooo much more quicker and more customisable than anything ive used. Believe it or not, it has Windows Snap!!! :o

So yeh, im also duel booting between Linux Mint and W7 because well they are both good operating systems but I can only properly compare and maybe transfer over to Linux once Mediamonkey 4 runs smoothly and efficiently just as it does on Windows. :D

P.S. Yeh Ive noticed there's less problems with MM4 on W7 than Vista but not much between them. I can't say about XP but sorry for the annoyances....maybe you should upgrade like the rest of us rovingcowboy :lol:
  • W7Ultimate x32 - MM4 - SHABBA!
AngeloHanna12

Post by AngeloHanna12 »

I still use windows xp, it works for i see no need for going and buying a new computer. When my computer breaks down thats when ill get a new one.
karikat

Post by karikat »

Windows 7 ultimate.. 8)
kshapiro

Post by kshapiro »

I run a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux on one partition and Windows 7 on the other. I love 7. It boots laster than Linux which is pretty speedy.
Eyal wrote:PC = XP Pro SP2. I'm planning to upgrade to XP 64-bit.
Laptop = Vista.

Win 7? No thanks.
Brent00

Post by Brent00 »

XP Pro SP3 on my desktop (which is 5 1/2 years old)
Vista Home Premium on my laptop (2 1/2 years old; had no choice, Vista came with the unit when bought)

Have heard good things about Win7, but haven't had the opportunity to work enough with it to have an educated opinion about it. Have worked enough with it to know that it will take a bit of "getting used to it" to feel comfortable with it.

I'm one of those who just go with whatever OS comes with the machine when bought since each new OS takes advantage of hardware upgrades. I might be able to fudge putting Win7 on my XP desktop, but don't feel comfortable enough with whatever changes there are that may or may not work as advertised on an out-dated hardware system.
rovingcowboy wrote: win7 is made to make you get use to doing things ms's way then they will move you to all net apps and give you a dummy terminal so they control your actions, i'm not going that route. i'll fight the borgs every step of the way. 8)
Interesting impression. I wouldn't put it past them (MS).

I'm not a fan of the so-called "cloud computing" for just those same reasons. Not a cloud user, other than web based email. As far as everything else goes, that's a matter of privacy.
dcamber

Post by dcamber »

I use Windows 7 (64 bit) and I have to say that I am not overly impressed with it. I used XP for a long time and had to switch when I bought a new computer. It is a bit of an adjustment for me.
Confused

Post by Confused »

I'm using Windows 7 and I feel comfortable using it but there are programs that is not suitable for W7. My friend recommended XP, I am now confused :( ..Let me hear from you guys!
Pman

Post by Pman »

Confused wrote:I'm using Windows 7 and I feel comfortable using it but there are programs that is not suitable for W7. My friend recommended XP, I am now confused :( ..Let me hear from you guys!
What programs aren't suitable for Windows 7?
As i thought everything is suitable and workable under W7 and even if they wasnt the XP compatibility feature, which was introduced in Vista, will allow XP programs to run on W7. Majority of apps should work under W7 because all developers of all programs would like there software to run on the most up-to-date, current, stable and most affective windows that they expect to be sold to most users in the world.

If it was me, I would say to stick with W7 because it's much safer than XP, it's always updated frequently, quicker windows and better run then any others....and you can benefit in all the new and exciting features of MediaMonkey 4 under W7!

Just a question to think about: If it was those years ago when XP first came out, would you have had the doubt then and asked a similar question..."I heard some programs aren't suitable for XP, but my friend recommended Windows 95"?...sounds funny right! :lol:
  • W7Ultimate x32 - MM4 - SHABBA!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

windows 7 is just another step closer to the cloud terminal in your home and no pc tower, with all the apps at m$'s server where you have to pay to use them but never have them.
i don't like borg's

i will stick with windows xp pro sp3.

if windows 7 is so great why are they on alpha test versions of windows 8 now????

only thing win 7 does is use unlimited ram. oh and make you need another app to be able to change the desktop theme.
as m$ wants to controll that now too. :x

xp has a 3 gb limit to its ram.

why i had an win95 computer up until 3 yrs ago when mom finally got the win xp pro one in use that i sent her.
most the errors were in win 98 and older. xp has very few of them and most the ones it has now are because of newer hardware.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
TheOneNed

Post by TheOneNed »

I am using Win 7 64bit. Started with 95, upgraded to 98, built a new pc with XP 32 bit SP3 and was happy with it. Last year I had to get a laptop and it had Win 7 on it and I am extremely happy with it. By far the most stable OS yet and easier to navigate once you get used to the subtle changes. So far I have no complaints with 7 and it does a great job running some of my older programs from XP and some 98's as well.