MMW & DBpoweramp for ripping???

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

mynetdude

MMW & DBpoweramp for ripping???

Post by mynetdude »

Since this isn't a help question; its more of "compare or should I do this?" kind of thing and since it doesn't relate to MM directly I guess its safe to say its offtopic so that being said:

I kind of knew that MMW could rip from CDs; but I've always used dbpoweramp because not only does dbpoweramp rip it does bulk conversion as well and I have a lifetime family license for it which means I can install on more than one PC unlike MMW Gold that license is singular.

So which is better? I haven't tried ripping from MMW yet I guess the advantage of using dbpoweramp is if I want to rip while on the go whereas MMW isn't practical for that or if I want to install it on another family member's PC. I assume MMW will rip from CDs into FLAC? (dbpoweramp does).
nohitter151

Re: MMW & DBpoweramp for ripping???

Post by nohitter151 »

I wouldn't call one better than the other. They both do secure rips and verify against the accuraterip database, ensuring a perfect rip. I suppose the advantag of using MM to rip would only be that the tracks are added directly to the MM database while ripping, so you skip the step of having to scan the files in separately if you used dbpoweramp. But that's not really much of a burden, especially if you rip the files to a watched (file monitor) folder.

By the way, a MediaMonkey license can be used on up to 3 PCs.

MMW will rip to FLAC among a number of other formats.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mynetdude

Post by mynetdude »

nohitter151 wrote:I wouldn't call one better than the other. They both do secure rips and verify against the accuraterip database, ensuring a perfect rip. I suppose the advantag of using MM to rip would only be that the tracks are added directly to the MM database while ripping, so you skip the step of having to scan the files in separately if you used dbpoweramp. But that's not really much of a burden, especially if you rip the files to a watched (file monitor) folder.

By the way, a MediaMonkey license can be used on up to 3 PCs.

MMW will rip to FLAC among a number of other formats.
Good to know about the MM Lic :) thanks for the easy stuff.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey's main drawback is its lack of tagging prior to ripping. Only few tags are supported and Artwork isn't. Also no FreeDB upload is supported.
mynetdude

Post by mynetdude »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey's main drawback is its lack of tagging prior to ripping. Only few tags are supported and Artwork isn't. Also no FreeDB upload is supported.
I didn't see any tagging support in dbpoweramp unless I missed something there?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know about DBPowerAmp so I can't tell you if it has any (I presume it does though). MediaMonkey can only tag basic tags like Artist, Title, Album and Date among a few others prior to ripping.
mynetdude

Post by mynetdude »

Lowlander wrote:I don't know about DBPowerAmp so I can't tell you if it has any (I presume it does though). MediaMonkey can only tag basic tags like Artist, Title, Album and Date among a few others prior to ripping.
when ripping, yes; but there's also an ID3 tagging feature that's outside of the MMW ripping its just another step to go through but you're right while ripping only the basics are imported.