Nokia 5800 NAM loses tag info on some songs.

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Music Diva

Nokia 5800 NAM loses tag info on some songs.

Post by Music Diva »

I'm using the Nokia 5800 NAM version while waiting for iPhone 3.0 compatibility. It's a great phone but it cannot display correct MP3 tag info on some songs. Artists, genre, and year are missing from several tracks and even when I try to edit from within the program, the changes don't stick. I should say I'm using the 5800's memory card. I didn't have this problem on my Sony Ericsson memory card though, so I'm thinking there's something about the 5800 that causes this. I even tried the "use only one when multiples exist" check boxes and that doesn't work either. The tag info is simply not being recorded to the memory card, except the titles. And this is on about 40-50 % of the songs. Any suggestions? TIA!
Music Diva

Re: Nokia 5800 NAM loses tag info on some songs.

Post by Music Diva »

I'm able to edit the tags directly on the phone, but it's time consuming. Fortunately the changes stick when done on the phone, but I really would like to know why the tags dont copy properly to begin with.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Hi,

This may be due to the options you have set for ID3 tags within MediaMonkey as I haven't noticed anything untoward on my daughters 5800.

Daz
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

It's strange that no other device I have does this though. ALL of them recorded the tags correctly, except this one.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

I discovered that the 5800 is tagging some titles as .mp3 at the end, although that is NOT how I list titles. I never put .mp3 in the title. I suspect that may be part of the problem.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

Does anyone have ANY ideas?? This is drivng me nuts. How can it read titles as .mp3 at the end when that's NOT what the tag title says, and then refuse to load the tag info ? Even if it does load them as .mp3 at the end, how's the tag info not getting recorded? I'm very confused.
tsJarlie

Post by tsJarlie »

Maybe it has something to do with the embedded cover ? If the cover isn't in the right size or format, the problems start.
(I've read this on another forum)
This evening, when I'm at home I will try with/without covers and let now.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

Thank you for replying!!

Maybe if I try syncing without the "paste album art" option? I hate doing that but I also hate seeing "unknown artist" and no album info under "details" when I know I entered the tags in MM correctly. The phone itself is cool though!

I'm going to test it and report back.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

I have one odd dimension album art track that DID sync correctly. If that's true about the album art needing to be certain size, that didn't fly in that one case. I'm still confused. :-?
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

I also need to add that my Nokia N81 never seemed to do this. Is there something different in the 5800 firmware? Besides making it touchscreen, I've seen no serious differences between S60-5 and S60-3.
Sacs

Post by Sacs »

I had the same issue and resolved it by right clicking on the device in that tree view and selected "configure device"
Clicked the device configuration tab
Select Copy playlists and click options
Checked generate device playlists for artists and albums.

Seems to be working so far but not sure what happens when I add one album for an artist, then another.

Would be nice if this just plain worked right ;-)
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

"generate device playlists"? I'll try that next. I've been auto-syncing playlists and the playlists transfer fine, just some info is screwed up.

Thanks for the reply!

P.S. I'm trying it now. I wonder if I should have unchecked library playlists though.

P.P.S. That didn't work so I'll try unchecking libary playlists next.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

Unchecking library playlists worked but now no playlists. :(

So now I have to see if checking playlists again will screw things up. I really needed those playlists.

P.S. :evil: Library Playlists cannot be loaded without that error showing. WHAT do I do to get BOTH playlists and proper tag info on the 5800???
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

I have to take it back, actually that didn't work either. The folders show as correct on MM, but "unknown" still appears on the device. I don't know what to do, maybe the card structure is screwed up and I need to switch to a SanDisk. I'm using the included Nokia card, but I have an 8GB SanDisk also.
Sacs

Post by Sacs »

Just tried another way which seemed to work for me.

Connect to PC using "mass storage"
Copy the files on with windows explorer and then once disconnected refresh the music library and it picks up the tag info.
This can be done with media monkey I guess, but I can't see the way to set a default directory for the 5800 while on mass storage.

FYI I am using firmware 21.0.025