Android Sync Questions

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

on board

Android Sync Questions

Post by on board »

I have scanned a lot of posts, but have not found the answers I am looking for. At least in a way I understand that is.

I am trying to sync my MM Gold license on a W7 64bit PC, with my new Samsung Galaxy - S Phone on T-Mobile. The phone is stunning and so far my experience with it and other android phone is fantastic except for with music syncing. Since one of the common reasons for purchasing a license for mediamonkey gold is to move away from the Itunes environment, I find myself surprised that the recommendation of many is to use something called "DoubleTwist". The program emulates Itunes in every way, and requires your playlists, and library to be in Itunes as well.

What are people using to sync MM playlists with their Android phones? What media player are you using on the phone itself and does this matter? Are there config settings I haven't discovered that I should know about? Is Mediamonkey considering a version for Android?

Thank you.
on board

Re: Android Sync Questions

Post by on board »

I have a 16gb micro sd card mounted in the phone. When I connect to my computer, it was mounting the phone as two drives, a phone, and a separate USB device. Perhaps because I had loaded the micro sd card separately to transfer something else onto it. I have since disabled one of the drives in the control panel and will see how this goes.

Apparently if you have MM open on your desktop, and then subsequently mount the phone, MM will not recognize this without restarting MM itself. This is annoying because MM then must go through the somewhat lengthy re-scan of all the media files.
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

I have the exact same questions, and since I notice that the post is form February and there's no response, that there simply isn't any way to truly "sync" music to an Android phone with MM. It seems that all you can do is a one-way dump of files, and after that, you're on your own.

I'm VERY disappointed.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

we've been trying to get this sorted for years. basically the MM devs are silent on the topic. Meanwhile we all sit here crying out for a sync tool that actually works effectively.

I got half way into designing how this would work, got an android dev on side but stumbled on the clunky implementation we'd need to do to get it into MM. This is where the devs should step in and help, but despite numerous threads on the subject, we get absolutely no response at all.

It's pathetic. The development time for this would be minimal. The rewards would be reaped immediately by the zillion android users needing a solution.

I've given up all hope and botched my own solution together using last.fm play counts. It works but it's extremely basic and cannot be compared to the clever playlist stuff itunes can do.
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Android dev should contact MediaMonkey as Android itself can't do what you're looking for. Thus an Android application is required and if the MediaMonkey devs make it a lot of time in development and support will be lost on this. But if an Android application exists to store this data and the dev of the application is willing to work with MediaMonkey I'm pretty sure the MediaMonkey devs will be interested and depending on the details something might be able to be worked out.
rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 »

Why is it you're having trouble Syncing? MM Syncs with USB Mass Storage Devices and I believe that is a two-way sync. From what I can tell (I haven't tried it yet as I'm battling another issue at the moment) you can just plug your phone in and configure it as a mass storage device under MM and it will recognize, sync and keep track of it. You can even set it to auto-sync upon connection.

As far as the playlists issue, I remedied that by using Mixzing as my media player. I used to use Meridian and I emailed the dev for that and he says he'd like to add .m3u support to it, but doesn't plan to any time soon. Mixzing will support m3u files out of the box. I have an HTC Evo 4G and Mixzing seems to run just fine on it.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but it seems as though you can accomplish what you're trying to do using MM.

-Rich
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't sync play counts and ratings from an Android device back to MediaMonkey which is an important missing feature when syncing with a portable device.
rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 »

Lowlander wrote:You can't sync play counts and ratings from an Android device back to MediaMonkey which is an important missing feature when syncing with a portable device.
In that case, I'm in agreement that this would be a somewhat trivial development task. The basic sync capability is already there.. seems like a music player developer should be able to communicate to the MM devs and agree on a way to transfer that information. Although, it would probably be better if there was a defined standard way to do this so MM would work with all media players.

-Rich
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rwebb616 wrote:
Lowlander wrote:You can't sync play counts and ratings from an Android device back to MediaMonkey which is an important missing feature when syncing with a portable device.
In that case, I'm in agreement that this would be a somewhat trivial development task. The basic sync capability is already there.. seems like a music player developer should be able to communicate to the MM devs and agree on a way to transfer that information. Although, it would probably be better if there was a defined standard way to do this so MM would work with all media players.

-Rich
That's the problem, there is no standard android music app and how does MM decide which music app to add support to, keeping in mind that not all apps will be compatible with all the different android phones out there.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
on board

Post by on board »

"That's the problem, there is no standard android music app and how does MM decide which music app to add support to, keeping in mind that not all apps will be compatible with all the different android phones out there."

It seems that MediaMonkey could use a marketing department to instruct development of Android sync. Unless instructed to do so, it does not seem as though we will see any movement on this topic unfortunately. This sure isn't going to win any customers over to MM in my opinion. I have been dabblling with Itunes again since using Media Monkey is beginning to take far more computer hacking skills than I care to develop.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

on board wrote:It seems that MediaMonkey could use a marketing department to instruct development of Android sync. Unless instructed to do so, it does not seem as though we will see any movement on this topic unfortunately. This sure isn't going to win any customers over to MM in my opinion. I have been dabblling with Itunes again since using Media Monkey is beginning to take far more computer hacking skills than I care to develop.
I don't understand your post. You seem to be critical of MM here, but what are they supposed to do?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

on board wrote:"That's the problem, there is no standard android music app and how does MM decide which music app to add support to, keeping in mind that not all apps will be compatible with all the different android phones out there."

It seems that MediaMonkey could use a marketing department to instruct development of Android sync. Unless instructed to do so, it does not seem as though we will see any movement on this topic unfortunately. This sure isn't going to win any customers over to MM in my opinion. I have been dabblling with Itunes again since using Media Monkey is beginning to take far more computer hacking skills than I care to develop.

Why not link to the default Google player. In fact Google were very helpful with a Gallery project and even released some students to help. I am sure if MM contacted google that things could move along very fast.

The other thing to take into account is Android phones were rated as 1st 2nd and 3rd for customer satisfaction this month and things are only getting stronger for the google os, so surely its a high priority to get MM on board.
Peke

Post by Peke »

We have never got good cooperation (Actually none) when we tried to solve issues with Google Talk. They just didn't wanted to answer several of my posts.

We are all willing to help them or any developer that want MM to sync with Android app. Malloware and developer of CDArt display for example asked us for help which we kindly provided which resulted in MM support for their apps no matter if they free or commercial. Additionally we have not found any third party app that I'm aware of which explicitly influence MM and violate EULA or SDK/API.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
trader604

Post by trader604 »

This thread is a few weeks old..sorry to revive it but I do have a follow up question...not sure if I should start a new thread as it kind of follows this one...

I'm trying to sync my music library to my samsung galaxy s vibrant. I've got a 16gb SD card and of course the 16gb of internal memory. I have about 26gb of music that i'd like to sync with the phone across the two locations (on device and external sd).

1) Will MM sync my music across the two memory locations
2) If 1 = yes, is there anything special I need to do to make this work?
3) if 1 = yes, should I delete any music I have on the phone now? It's all from my library anyway.
4) What android music player should I be using to listen to music that's stored across both memory locations?

Thanks.
on board

Post by on board »

Syncing generally works only in one direction, say from your desktop computer to your Ipod/ phone, Galaxy-S, etc.

MM does a "just ok" job of synching with Android phones imo. I am starting to play with Winamp, since they just release an Android player that is pretty good, although it does not have gapless playback yet. Its all a big experiment at this point.