ipod video 30G disappears in few seconds

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

vitaliknyc

ipod video 30G disappears in few seconds

Post by vitaliknyc »

When I connect my ipod to PC with mediamonkey up and running it appears in the tree menu, but disapperas in a couple of seconds. However, if I manage to hit "sync button" in these few seconds the syncronization begins. Once it's complete, iPod stays in the menu.

May be somebody can help? Thanx a lot!
jhjacobs

iPod Disappears

Post by jhjacobs »

As a new user I also had this problem. I was able to fix it by going into iTunes and:

- Click Edit | Preferences | iPod | General
- Disable 'Open iTunes when this iPod is attached'
- Enable 'Enable disk use'

This is from the MM help files.
vitaliknyc

Post by vitaliknyc »

Bingo! Thanks a bunch!
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

do you have to have itunes installed for your ipod to work?

i'm planning on buying an ipod but don't want to install any of apple's crappy software i was just planning on using MM to do all my synching...

Post by Guest »

Danzig wrote:do you have to have itunes installed for your ipod to work?
i'm planning on buying an ipod but don't want to install any of apple's crappy software i was just planning on using MM to do all my synching...
Apple's crappy software? Apparently you haven't spent any time with iTunes. It's very well done, with an exceptionally clean interface, and certainly more stable than MediaMonkey (sorry folks, but it is).
I use MediaMonkey as my primary jukebox because of it's tagging ability, one area in which iTunes doesn't measure up. iTunes is no slouch, it's a fine piece of software for the average user. It's especially solid in the area of smart playlists with it's ability to use playlists within playlists (I'm not sure if the new release of Media Monkey can do that yet).
I didn't have an option of whether or no to install iTunes, but I already had it installed, so it might have just installed the iPod drivers. Worst case, let it install, then uninstall it (or actually work with it a little, then form your opinion :D ).
gregnockolds

I HAVE spent some time with iTunes

Post by gregnockolds »

Why do we have to put up with Apple apologists in a MediaMonkey forum? Is there no safe haven?!

"Exceptionally clean interface" sure, if you find all those pesky mouse-over balloons annoying and would rather just guess what clicking ANYWHERE in the interface is going to do.

But it is a *really cool* interface, check out the way those little arrow-head icons (the music store links) line up so neatly right down the screen, that's way cool 'cause there are so many of them (there's one for EVERY title and EVERY artist displayed in your library) I know the iTunes business model (its the No 1 excuse dragged out by any Appleogists should someone dare to point out a shortcoming with iTunes) and hence can understand why they are so keen for us to visit the store, but it makes no sense at all to clutter the screen with such a redundant array of icons. Why not make the title itself a hyperlink, or a right-mouse menu item. Oops, forgot! Apple is still getting over that "one button is more than enough" foobar!

Then there's that "really cool" status display thing (?) top and centre that can, get this, double as a equalizer display - as well as telling what is downloading or if the ipod is being updated - all you have to do is click on that intuitive little arrow thingy on the left and it toggles through any other messages it wants to tell you about, obvious really. What? You're wondering what that little cross icon does on the other side of that really cool equalizer/status window?.. It stops doing the thing that its telling you its doing, I *think* it only stops the one that you can see.

Another way cool thing is the mass-editing process: just imagine you want to update all the "xyz" artist's tracks. You click on the first track, hold down the shift key and start scrolling down (with either the down arrow or page-down key), but you go too far and need to back it up a track or two. No worries you think, just keep shift pressed and tap the up-arrow key a few times. wrong! That (bugger me!) extends the selection ABOVE the first track that you selected!

ok, just one more thing (it's like shooting fish in a barrel). What's with the magician's hand that lets you drag the border between the browser pane (which isn't really a browser pane, it performs a filter function, NOT a browsing function!) and the library list? Well it actually moves the border, kinda like what happens when you click and drag the mouse over a column border, or over the side border between the playlist (yeah, they are really *solid* playlists, so what!) and the library list. Well in fact its *EXACTLY* the same, except they used the magician's hand in the first case and the standard double-headed arrow every else you resize borders.

Sorry for the rant people, I'm either preaching to the converted (or the lucky/wise iTune virgins!) or else starting a flaming war with some appleogists. I've held back on many a discussion list where similar pointless defences have been raised for iTunes, but NOT in a MM forum where it should be obvious that aficionados of this feature-rich (and yes a bit buggy) product can have little or no interest in iTunes beyond its few functions that can't be done easily elsewhere (namely podcast and video syncing).