initial sync to galaxy s5 SD card via usb not working

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

tranzend

initial sync to galaxy s5 SD card via usb not working

Post by tranzend »

Help please!! Sync to Galaxy S5 SD card from PC via USB didn't work. I am trying to consolidate to one device (my S5) from having separate phone & ipod.
I installed Media Monkey 4.1.6 on my PC (Windows 7 64bit) and put my music files (6,000+) and playlists (appx 20) into the MM program.
I downloaded the MM android app 1.1.1.0412 onto my S5.
I then configured the Sync on my PC to go to my SD card since even a fraction of that music would take up more than the 16G avail on the phone.
I connected the S5 via USB3 cord and hit the 'auto sync' button on my PC
It showed the progress of syncing appx 1,300 files - even via USB it took quite a while. When it was finished, I had an error box listing several files that didn't download, which I "Saved as a Playlist" under Classical Music, so I could find it later (that playlist is now showing only 8 tracks??)
When sync had completed, I opened the MM app on my S5. The only music on the phone was what I had previously downloaded directly to the phone via drag & drop/windows explorer.

What am I doing wrong??

I am new to MM - trying to convert from iTunes/iPod combo. Thought MM with its Android app would be a perfect replacement, but so far not so much.

PS: Something (MM?) also hijacked my iPod so when I tried to sync the iPod to iTunes, everything on the iPod got erased & it was re-syncing 6,000 songs from scratch!!! VERY PROBLEMATIC since I was left with NO playlists/music on any device. My playlists are essential to my job as a fitness instructor.

Thank you.
Lowlander

Re: initial sync to galaxy s5 SD card via usb not working

Post by Lowlander »

Capture the sync in a debug log (step 4b) and send to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69 The developers then can see what is causing trouble.
nebbiag

Post by nebbiag »

I'm having a similar problem. Ever since I upgraded my Galaxy S5 to lollipop I can't get MMW to sync with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm able to start a USB sync, but part way through the process MMW stops writing songs to the Galaxy S5 card. I've tried it many (at least a dozen) times, but every time it writes some songs and then quits, eventually showing an Error box on my screen with a list of songs it didn't write ("Problem while copying file ..."). Sometimes it writes a few songs before it quits, other times it writes many more songs. But it never writes all of my songs (I have over 8000 mp3 files in my MMW library). And the only way I can get MMW to restart a sync after a failed sync is to erase the Music folder contents on the external card and start all over again. I'm using MMW 4.1.7.1739.

I just reported it and submitted a debug log under a separate ticket. Curious if others with lollipop are having the same problem?
etnoy

Post by etnoy »

nebbiag wrote:I'm having a similar problem. Ever since I upgraded my Galaxy S5 to lollipop I can't get MMW to sync with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm able to start a USB sync, but part way through the process MMW stops writing songs to the Galaxy S5 card. I've tried it many (at least a dozen) times, but every time it writes some songs and then quits, eventually showing an Error box on my screen with a list of songs it didn't write ("Problem while copying file ..."). Sometimes it writes a few songs before it quits, other times it writes many more songs. But it never writes all of my songs (I have over 8000 mp3 files in my MMW library). And the only way I can get MMW to restart a sync after a failed sync is to erase the Music folder contents on the external card and start all over again. I'm using MMW 4.1.7.1739.

I just reported it and submitted a debug log under a separate ticket. Curious if others with lollipop are having the same problem?
Hey, I have the same issue with Wi-fi sync and Galaxy s5 CM12 Lollipop. http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=80617

Do you also get TimeoutExceptions in Catlog?
rjwelsch

Post by rjwelsch »

I have the same problem with kitkat and now lollipop with my s5 and sd card, sent a debug and never heard back, I have attempted sync over 50 times the last 4 months, both wifi & usb, with similar results for 8000 songs and 35gb. I've been a MMW user for 10 years, syncs the same collection with my ipod classic in an hour, but this android sd card sync is miserable. Lately, I have been syncing one Playlist at a time, after about 10 playlists, each subsequent syncs result in several random missing tracks from playlists, it seems that when I get a few thousand songs, the syncing goes haywire
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A debug log attached to a ticket? That will be needed if you want to hear back.
foxy_saints

Post by foxy_saints »

I have the same problem. I thought I cracked last by removing itunes and syncing as admin. However the same error happened after 4k songs transfered
gjermund@wahre.no

Post by gjermund@wahre.no »

I have the same problem. MMW also dismount the sd card on phone and can't mount it without wiping it. I don' think it's a lillipop problem because I had the same problem before upgarding to Lollipop. Its a 128 GB Card. I'm running Lollipop and Beta MMA (have tryed all versions) and MMW 4.1.7 on windows pro 8.1. I am been trying to get my MMW library to the phone fore the last year. My MMW Library is about a TB. Therefore I'm only sync Playlists.

I also have problems to sync childpath in playlists.
F.EX : (--------> are symbols for child path like ......Quire\1. Bass\Favorites\
Quire
----->1. Bass
----->2. Bass
-------->Favorites
-------->New
-------->Old
----->1. Tenor
----->2. Tenor

Any Hints ?
Aff

Post by Aff »

Same issue with my new S5 (Android 5.0) with external SD card. I followed the instructions at http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... oid_device.
MMW version: 4.1.8.1751. MMA version: 1.1.2.0419 and 1.1.3.0462.

I guess the problem is that there is no /Music folder when MMA is started first.

With MMA 1.1.2.0419, MMW syncs directly to /Music.
After sync, MMA still doesn't know about the /Music folder on the external SD card and empties the playlist as well as mmstore.db.
When the folder is selected manually afterwards, MMA scans the tracks but lacks the meta-infos from MMW (e.g. no ratings, playlist remains empty).

With the current MMA Beta 1.1.3.0462, MMW first syncs to /Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkeybeta/files/Music (same for \Playlist).
When MMA is started afterwards, it shows a dialogue to grant SD card access and moves both folders to the root.

So it knows about the meta-infos, but this seems to work only if a very small amount of tracks is synced (tested OK with 1 track).
With a larger amount of synced tracks (>3000 in my case) it takes ages for MMA to move the folders, as it seems that it can't move the files when the phone is locked (automatically after 30 seconds).

When MMA had finished with the large amount, neither the playlist nor any ratings were shown in MMA. The files were moved, but it seems MMA didn't update the existing tracks in it's database but deleted these database records and read the tracks from the new location - of course without ratings etc.
I was careful to let MMA do its work. What happens if the user already starts navigating and listening the synced tracks before mmstore.db is updated and all tracks are moved?

This bug cost me a lot of time and nerves already! I will try to first manually create \Music and \Playlist and set it as folder in MMA, maybe that could work?
Aff

Post by Aff »

Preparing /Music folder didn't work either. MMW syncs there and creates the database, but MMA ignores both the database and the playlist.

So this is a bug.
Aff

Post by Aff »

No reaction yet from support (Ticket with log ID: #BUM-764-97137).

WiFi sync seems to work, but it copied all the tracks again the first time.
Aff

Post by Aff »

With the newest versions (MMA 1.1.3.476 Beta, MMW 4.1.9.1758 RC) the initial USB sync works on my S5!

So I guess it was related to http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12846.

Another change was manually installing Samsung MTP drivers on my PC via Windows Update (instead of Microsoft standard drivers), but I don't know if this made a big difference.