What's the easiest way to stop individual tracks syncing?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

What's the easiest way to stop individual tracks syncing?

Post by feline1 »

Hi,
I am using Mediamonkey 4 with my Sony ZX100 walkman, and it's all going pretty smoothly.

I have a few tracks in my library that are duplicates - for example, when a compilation CD includes tracks that I already had on an original album.
For completeness sake, I have ripped all these tracks onto my NAS, they're in folders according to the original discs they came from.
But it's pointless transferring the the duplicates onto my walkman.

Is there some way I can put a flag in the metadata of the duplicate tracks, telling MediaMonkey not to sync them?

At the moment, I am controlling syncing using the "Auto-Sync (-->Device)" tab in MediaMoney, and in the "Choose which files to keep synced" panel, I just have selected the folders I want in the "Location" tree - but this only has granularity going down to folder level, I can't make it ignore individual tracks.

Is there a way to tell it to skip individual tracks?
Lowlander

Re: What's the easiest way to stop individual tracks syncing

Post by Lowlander »

No, unless you filter them out of Collections/AutoPlaylist and sync from there.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Hmmm, this does appear to be something iTunes can do which MediaMonkey can't, in that case! :x
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It would seem easier in iTunes, but I wonder if this is easily managed with several devices to be synced to and different preferences between the devices.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Well, I have come up with my own workaround for this.
I simply use a metadata field that I don't personally care about ("Genre") as switch for this. Basically every track in my entire library has it's Genre set to something, but I leave the Genre field blank on the duplicate tracks. Then, in the Library >> Device sync rules for my Walkman, I tell it to sync all the tracks with "Genre == whatever", and the duplicate tracks get left behind. Simples. :)
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

feline1 wrote:Well, I have come up with my own workaround for this.
I simply use a metadata field that I don't personally care about ("Genre") as switch for this. Basically every track in my entire library has it's Genre set to something, but I leave the Genre field blank on the duplicate tracks. Then, in the Library >> Device sync rules for my Walkman, I tell it to sync all the tracks with "Genre == whatever", and the duplicate tracks get left behind. Simples. :)
I basically did the same thing to take care of duplicates from Compilation albums. But instead of leaving the important Genre blank, I renamed one of the Custom fields to Duplicate. I write dup in that field for tracks I don't want to sync. Works best for me in auto-playlists where I can use this as a condition (duplicate does not equal dup).