"disc #" tags from iTunes not syncing to Android device

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

devolution

"disc #" tags from iTunes not syncing to Android device

Post by devolution »

I use a somewhat complex setup for playing music, for a number of reasons specific to my personal idiosyncrasies and desire to not have to spend crazy amounts of money to get a single phone/music player with a reasonable amount of storage. I have both an iPhone 6 and an HTC One M8, which is the primary music player device. Therefore, I use both iTunes and (primarily) MediaMonkey as players and music converters, and all my music is in iTunes' AAC (.m4a) format. I usually do all the tagging of artist, album, track & disc info, and artwork in iTunes, mostly because I've been using that app for many years and though it has its issues, it works well enough.

Generally this setup works okay, especially with the HTC in the car. However, at work I plug my Android phone into my work computer via USB and then use MM for Windows as the player for the audio files stored on the phone. This also works well enough, but I'm encountering an issue where the "disc #" tags are not showing up on files stored on the M8, though the track #, artist, and album tags are recognized. This creates problems with multi-disc albums as it just lumps all the songs together by track number. That's not really working for me.

So, my question is what to do to get MM for Windows to recognize the "disc #" tag on these files?
Last edited by devolution on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: "disc #" tags from iTunes not syncing to Android device

Post by Lowlander »

Which software is syncing the files to the M8?
devolution

Post by devolution »

Mediamonkey for Windows.

MM for Android, which I have on the HTC, appears to recognize the disc tags, as it shows the songs in correct order and grouped by disc. Only in Windows does it not seem to see them, and only on the files that were synced to the Android. MMW recognizes that tag on the source files on my computer.

I have an SD card in the phone as well as the "internal storage". I'm experimenting now to see if the target location makes any difference.

EDIT: Location makes no difference. Does it on both the SD card and the internal storage.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW is syncing and which version of MMW is reading the files? If you copy a file from Android to PC does any App (including MediaMonkey) see the Disc#?
devolution

Post by devolution »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MMW is syncing and which version of MMW is reading the files? If you copy a file from Android to PC does any App (including MediaMonkey) see the Disc#?
the computer reading the files has 4.1.14.1813. The one syncing has 4.1.13.1801.

I discovered something else interesting related to the "disc #" tag. On the computer reading the files, if I go to "HTC6525LVW - Internal storage>Music>Artist" in the nav tree and pick an artist, it shows all the tracks I have on the phone from that artist. If there's a disc # tag added on any of them, it lists them as "10", "20", "30", etc. instead of "1", "2", "3". So it does see the tags that way, but appends a zero to it.

I did copy a bunch of files to my (work) computer from the Android and the disc tags are recognized correctly in both iTunes and MMW.
devolution

Post by devolution »

I'm resurrecting this thread, as this issue is still occurring and I'm hoping at some point it will be fixed. I am using MMW v4.1.23.1881 and MMA v1.3.3.0842 (both current, but this issue has been present since several versions back).

All of those files (plus every other music file on my phone) have full and correct ID3 tag info, at least for "name", "artist", "album", "track #", "disc #", and "album artist". The correct tag info shows up in MMA on the phone and in MMW when viewing the files stored on my computer. However, for some reason when looking at the folders on the SD card in my Android device, MMW ignores everything but "track #" and song name. And since it doesn't recognize the disc #, it doesn't separate the listing by disc, so listening in order is not possible.

I have seen four separate issues related to syncing from Windows to Android, using USB (I don't use wi-fi syncing at all):

1. Track numbers sometimes get a zero prepended to them, when viewed in MMW from the SD card on the Android device (not the case with the files shown above).
2. When syncing an album, the "album artist" field for all tracks is replaced with the value of the the first track's "artist" field, if the album is a compilation and the "artist" field varies from track to track. I use the album artist field (usually as "Various Artists") to keep the tracks on a compilation album all grouped together, and I view the albums in MMA by "album artist". This field replacement issue doesn't occur with albums that have that same value in the "artist" and "album artist" fields (i.e., not compilations).
3. MMW does not show most of the ID3 info from files synced to an Android device, as explained above.
4. Some tracks will be synced with the disc and track numbers combined, so they show up in MMA as "101", "102", "103", etc. Usually only a portion of the tracks on an album are affected. It's not possible to change the track or disc info on the phone directly, so the only fix is to delete them and re-sync.

Should I post a bug report on the tracker for some or all of these issues?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How are you syncing the files to the device?
devolution

Post by devolution »

I sync from MMW to the phone using USB connection. I select the tracks and use "send to" from the contextual menu. I don't auto-sync anything.