My 5g 30gb Ipod won't sync, freezes, and also skips songs

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Basic

My 5g 30gb Ipod won't sync, freezes, and also skips songs

Post by Basic »

Hi, I have just purchased a two-week-old 30 5g ipod video on ebay. The seller claimed that he has had no problems with it, but I am experiencing plenty. I am on the verge of asking for a return, but I am dedicated to making this work. There are problems syncing it with my computer as well as the ipod playing music itself.

Syncing problem:

At first, the ipod would not get recognized by itunes, but it would get recognized by my computer. (windows xp). I stumbled upon this website and decided to try mediamonkey. It was much better and actually did recognize the ipod. You don't know how much of a relief I felt. Then, the syncing problem occured. I imported all of my music from itunes onto mediamonkey and have tried to sync it to my ipod. It would not go through. I would get a few pop-ups saying that the file was either in use or could not be accessed. Many other times, it would just freeze. Mediamonkey at least went far enough to recognize the ipod, but there's no use recognizing it when it won't sync anyway. The songs were not in use, so I am looking for other possible reasons.

Ipod problem:

The ipod looks nearly new with only a few scratches. All of the features work perfectly, except the most important one. Music. It takes forever to load the song, and it starts making all these clicky noises inside. It will start skipping through songs quickly without playing one, and if it does, it will take a longggg time. The battery starts to wear down fast (even though it has just been charged for a long while) and the ipod starts to feel hot as if it were overheating. The music currently in the ipod is the music that was left from the seller (previous owner).

The only possible solutions I have come up with so far are to restore the ipod to factory settings (deleting the songs the seller left). Everything else on the ipod works except for the songs, and it seems best to just start over.

You guys are the experts on mediamonkey. Do you think it malfunctioned and could not sync becasue there was music already on the ipod? I'm hoping that if/when I restore the ipod to factory settings, mediamonkey will be able to sync. Do you guys have any other suggestions for the problems stated above?

Thanks for the help in advance. If nothing suffices, I guess I'll just be returning the ipod. sigh... :-?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you have the last version of iTunes and/or MediaMonkey. But if iTunes doesn't work the player is probably broke.

To me it sounds that the harddrive inside the iPod is broke, clicking noises, running warm and draining battery. You could see if there is a waranty or even try to go to a local PC or electronics store to see if they can check it out. But I assume that sending it back to the seller is needed. Maybe the device broke during shipping.
nsurg

Post by nsurg »

Even my new ipod video has done similar things to what you describe. The ipod you have may be working just fine, but the software is not tuned up right.
If you want it to sync with mediamonkey, do not also sync it with itunes (but you can then still use itunes to add videos and photos, just don't let itunes sync the music).

Do any songs play correctly? Does it make a difference if the songs have album art or not?

Some suggestions:
1)first delete all the songs that the seller had on there, it may be that he/she sync'ed with itunes, and now you are trying mediamonkey. You can't sync with both, just one or the other. Either way, start from scratch. If you want to keep the old songs prior to erasing the ipod, use this free program to copy the mp3 to your computer: http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Sec ... e=SharePod

2)download the firmware version 1.1.1 from apple, and RESTORE the ipod... this will delete everything on it.

3)then try to see if it gets recognized by itunes (the latest version of itunes)... it needs to be recognized by itunes for video and photo capabilities, since very few to no 3rd party programs support this so far.

4)re-sync all your music now with EITHER mediamonkey or itunes. I recommend mediamonkey since it's just a better program, but decide which one you want to use long term. Keep in mind that mediamonkey can import the database from itunes and keep playcount and ratings (which are very useful after a while), but remember that you cannot go from mediamonkey to itunes with ratings (even if your ipod has ratings and playcount intact).

Hope this reply wansn't too late.