Bulk Folder Rename Creates Copies, only want "Move"

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

bumphrey

Bulk Folder Rename Creates Copies, only want "Move"

Post by bumphrey »

I have an external flash card loaded with music with cleaned up metadata, but ~1500 files were synced with a folder structure of \Music\Unknown - <Album>\<filename>. This is negatively affecting my headunit that I'm trying to play the music out of. I'm trying to do a bulk clean up of those files using the Auto-Organize Files tool, but when I try to use the "Move and Rename files to new destination based on file tags" option, it creates copies of those directories instead. I don't want to modify the file names, only the directories they're contained in. So my destination path is currently (../$if(<Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>)$if(<Album>, - <Album>,)), this yields the intended structure but I can't figure out how to run this without making copies of the original files in the new directory, since that would take too long.

Thanks for any help.
Lowlander

Re: Bulk Folder Rename Creates Copies, only want "Move"

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying that you have 2 copies after the process or that the process isn't an actual move, but instead a copy then remove original process?
bumphrey

Post by bumphrey »

The process copies without the removal. So after running the auto-organize I'm left with two directories. One with Unknown - <album> and one with <artist> - <album>. I might have to just rename all those directories manually in windows explorer.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not how it's supposed to work, unless you set it to Copy instead of Move in the Auto-Organize Files dialog (verify this). If it is set to Move MediaMonkey may not have rights to delete the original files once the move is complete.
bumphrey

Post by bumphrey »

Yeah I figured it shouldn't be doing what it is. But I am definitely choosing the "Move" option. I just have to go in and delete the original directory.
No worries, thanks for the help anyway!
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I don't quite understand what you have after Auto-Organize operates. Do you have two directories, but only one - the new one - has files or do both the new and old directory have files? If the former, then you may not have checked the obscure little box in the lower left corner that says "Delete emptied folders".