PrettyPictures (Album Art Browser) [MM 3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

holterpolter wrote:And some little suggestion:
Is it possible that both "Browse by Art" and "Pretty Pictures" use the same cached files? So you only need to cache the images once.
It's possible.. however, BrowseByArt creates a static page which means that it can cache a larger image for each album and the extra memory or cpu effort used for displaying the page is not as much of a problem... However, extra memory and cpu usage for Pretty Pictures means less fluent motion.

At the moment, Pretty Pictures saves two files for every piece of art.. a low res version and a high res version... all albums use the low res version and the high res version is only loaded in when an album hits the centre of the window (and then unloaded when it leaves the centre).

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
hars

Post by hars »

DaledeSilva wrote: hars, this should also fix your problem as it's the same...
it sure did, works great! glad you liked the suggestion aswell.
Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole. And my record collection can beat up your record collection.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

holterpolter wrote:- Also the function to show/hide the Albums without Art seems not to have any effect.

what you should see happen is the albums will fade out and then fade back in. When they fade back in none of hte albums that are white with black text on them (not actual images) will be visible.

however, if your tracklist currently has no albums in it that are missing artwork, then it wont even fade out.

Dale.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Amazing... Finally looks like you got this thing whipped into shape and now that I can sit back and see it working to it's fullest, I have to hand it to you. Will be interesting to see how much further you will take this script over time. I shall be sitting here waiting like a kid waiting outside of a candy store. :)
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Great work Dale

The changes incorporated into v0.421 have removed the problems I experienced and the script is up and running and looking great.

Only one thing I can't understand, should this script "expand" (highlight) the nowplaying art?
Currently while I am in now playing, PrettyPictures just displays the art for songs selected in now playing but does not highlight or expand the current playing song, is this what you intended or am I not getting something working right?

Thanks
jiri

Post by jiri »

Very nice! :)

Jiri
hars

Post by hars »

i get this after closing PP while playing a song from the album i just double-clicked:

playback isn't interrupted and nothing else really happens, just this error-box. maybe of interest, i don't know, not really a coder :)
Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole. And my record collection can beat up your record collection.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

Access Violations are beyond my scope of knowledge... anyone else have some light to shed on the subject?

Dale.

ps. Sorry to DiddeLeeDoo. I labelled the screenshot on the sight wrong.. it's fixed now.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

paulmt wrote:Only one thing I can't understand, should this script "expand" (highlight) the nowplaying art?
Currently while I am in now playing, PrettyPictures just displays the art for songs selected in now playing but does not highlight or expand the current playing song, is this what you intended or am I not getting something working right?
if I understand you correctly, this was never intended. On my TO DO list (second post in this thread) is the ability to scroll to the currently SELECTED track in the track list.. however nothing to do with what's PLAYING is on the to do.

considering the concept, however, I may implement it ONLY when the page refreshes... so that if you click on now playing.. everything appears and instead of starting focussed on the first album in the list, it starts focussed on the currently playing album. yes, yes, I think that would be useful... thanks ;)
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

Now that I've tested it a little bit, I have a couple of queries:

* I can't seem to keep the settings once saved - they always revert to default when restarting MM.

* Is there a way to remove case sensitivity when listing? (Currently all artists/albums starting with lower case are list at the end.)

* When sorting by artist, there doesn't seem to be a secondary sorting method applied to the artist's albums. Is it possible to implement one so that albums could be sorted either by year or album name? If there IS a sorting method already in place, then it doesn't seem to be working for me.

* Are there plans to list special characters separately? (Currently they're simply grouped together under the heading of "%")

Thanks. It's a great script, adding a whole new level of gloss to MM. (Although it is understandably slow to initiate when listing ~3500 albums, I realise this is something I'll probably have to just get used to.)
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

Nebbin wrote:* I can't seem to keep the settings once saved - they always revert to default when restarting MM.
because it's a Beta, this information isn't saved at all yet (for more info on what's not done yet read me second post)
Nebbin wrote:* Is there a way to remove case sensitivity when listing? (Currently all artists/albums starting with lower case are list at the end.)
I noticed this.. thanks for reminding me.
Nebbin wrote:* When sorting by artist, there doesn't seem to be a secondary sorting method applied to the artist's albums. Is it possible to implement one so that albums could be sorted either by year or album name? If there IS a sorting method already in place, then it doesn't seem to be working for me.
yes.. I'll do this.. thanks.. I'll set the secondary sorting method to what was previously primary.
Nebbin wrote:* Are there plans to list special characters separately? (Currently they're simply grouped together under the heading of "%")
I didn't realise this was the case actually... but I think this is quite logical and since it does it automatically it would not be worth the work to change. so no... no plans.
Nebbin wrote:(Although it is understandably slow to initiate when listing ~3500 albums, I realise this is something I'll probably have to just get used to.)
yeah... it is something you'll have to get used to... however, why not create a magic node which groups things by the first letter.. then use that to look at only one letter set at a time.. this should lower the number that need to be loaded (of course.. if I could improve it myself I would).
might also be worth checking out this thread for an alphabet sidebar, though I haven't tried it myself:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9556

Dale.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

Dealing with special characters is always a pain... do you list separately, group them under a single heading, or (like MM does natively) list selective ones them near their similarly structured alphabetical counterpart. (ie "Ö" is listed as a forerunner to "O").

Yes, I use an Album Artist node categorised under each single letter already, and it does make this script considerably faster, but there are still times when I wish to bring up the entire collection and it takes sometimes well over a minute before I get control back. As you said though, I'll have to get used to it, and to be honest, it's a small price to pay for such a great tool!
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

OVER A MINUTE!!! jeepers...

damn.. that's not a small price to pay.. that's a pain... because it hinders efficiency and useability... things should be quick quick quick (I even get frustrated with the speed of the tracklist fill...lol)

anyway.. don't think there's anything I can do about it now... but maybe a solution will arise that will enable control of the prog to not freeze.

just thinking out loud..... currently the whole tracklist is recorded into an xml file in one chunk... maybe seperating each letter and making an incremental load will make larger lists load better and not hinder smaller lists too much...

dunno.. as I said.. just thinking out loud.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You can call SDB.ProcessMessages to return the control to MM. As soon as MM has finished processing the messages in it's queue (mouse clicks, etc) your script will continue running. Maybe you could call this after each letter, or X number of lines written maybe. This won't actually make it faster of course! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

About the Access Violation warning: I get the same when I close the panel with the X button, or mostly when I resize the docked panel. Resizing the un-docked panel is not a problem, as also closing the panel using the entry in the view menu is not a problem.
This A/V-warning should be something for MM to handle, I guess.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).