MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes4.dll)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

elliah

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes4.dll)

Post by elliah »

consultant wrote:Sorry if this was already covered in this HUGE thread.

Am I correct that a major disadvantage of this plugin is that it will make your music library take up twice the space? You have the original location and then all the files are duplicated in the MMiTunes directory?

If this is true are there any solutions? Sync and then clear your iTunes library and delete and the files in MMiTunes directory?

What are the major advantages over the plugin versus just exported your playlists to M3U then importing the M3U playlists into iTunes so all tracks are in one location for both MM and iTunes? (This is what I've done before.)
I have the same issue with library duplication as I have quite a large library. So I was wondering if I set the cache directory to an external hard drive, would that still work?
Michael-Keizer

Post by Michael-Keizer »

markstuartwalker wrote:Can you successfully add the .acc files to iTunes manually?
No, that doesn't work either. When I try to do that, the 'adding files' box appears and it appears as if iTunes is processing the files, but they still don't appear in the library.

Any idea what else I could try?
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

This is not a plugin problem. The problem is within iTunes and those files. Are they DRM protected in some way?
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
markstuartwalker

Build 4.0.3.2216 Released.

Very few modifications (mainly under the hood).
* exception path now fixed into the temp folder
* fix to be used in conjunction with the MM build 1463 for playlists containing '/' characters.

Code: Select all

8/12/2011
* Recovery options get letter prefixes
* delays added into the applescript to solve timing issues
* datetimetostr used so that time gets added to date fields in XML
* default for skip empty iTunes made true
12/12/2011
* exceptionPath2 saved
* safeFilename() restricts to alpha numerics in file names only
15/12/2011
* Edit Registry button temporarily added but does nothing yet!
5/1/2012
* dflNoPlstFilesystemReady incorporated (with build MM 4.0.3.1463) to fix '/' in playlist names
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
Michael-Keizer

Post by Michael-Keizer »

markstuartwalker wrote:This is not a plugin problem. The problem is within iTunes and those files. Are they DRM protected in some way?
No, they're not; and wouldn't DRM be stripped during the conversion anyway? At least, I don't see how DRM that would work in a WMA file could successfully be ported to an AAC file during conversion.

I can play the resulting AAC files without any issue in MM. Could it be that the MM AAC encoder delivers a format that is not iTunes compatible?
polymathpangram

more 4s sync confusion

Post by polymathpangram »

Hey folks.

I apologize in advance if I've missed any helpful info on this, but I've earnestly been trying to figure this out for at least two weeks now, and have read and read and read and googled repeatedly for answers, unsuccessfully. So again, I'm sorry to be a hassle in the event that I've missed something.

d itunes4.dll: I don't get it. I wish I did. Really, I do. And the deeper I dig, the more confused I become as I find myself trying to keep track and make sense of dated/obsolete information and technical jargon I don't understand.

Current configuration is: Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron n5010 (I recently bought the new) iphone 4s ios 5.0.1 (as my 3gs, which I frankenphoned together with parts from 3 different devices was becoming too unreliable), upgraded to itunes 10.5.2.11 and mediamonkey 4.0.2.1462.

Previous to this setup: 3gs, jailbroken w/redsn0w, mediamonkey 3.2.? (I forget exactly which version it was, but at least 3.2), itunes 10.4.? (not sure exactly there either, but again, at least 10.4). Syncing worked beautifully.

What I'm trying to do: manually sync my music library with my iphone 4s ios 5.0.1.

I've downloaded and (I believe properly) installed the d_itunes4.dll plugin. A tab shows up in mediamonkey titled as d_itunes4.dll on "my pc". My iphone shows up as a node, and shows as only having 1024 gig capacity (is a 16gig device), and as empty.

???

When dragging songs to said node, mediamonkey displays a status bar indicating that the songs are being copied to d_itunes4.dll on "my pc". And that is as far as I get. My iphone doesn't indicate that it's syncing, the songs don't show up on my iphone or in itunes.

I've followed instructions on configuring itunes, mediamonkey, and my iphone.

danke schoen for any assistance.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
elliah

Post by elliah »

markstuartwalker wrote:Build 4.0.3.2216 Released.

Very few modifications (mainly under the hood).
* fix to be used in conjunction with the MM build 1463 for playlists containing '/' characters.

Code: Select all

8/12/2011
* Recovery options get letter prefixes
* delays added into the applescript to solve timing issues
* datetimetostr used so that time gets added to date fields in XML
* default for skip empty iTunes made true
12/12/2011
* exceptionPath2 saved
* safeFilename() restricts to alpha numerics in file names only
15/12/2011
* Edit Registry button temporarily added but does nothing yet!
5/1/2012
* dflNoPlstFilesystemReady incorporated (with build MM 4.0.3.1463) to fix '/' in playlist names
so if i want to update the plugin i just install over the old one right?
markstuartwalker

@polymathpangram
Have you read the d_itunes4 manual? See the "Operation of the plugin" section.
Set up an auto-sync list to determine what gets synced to iTunes.

@elliah
Yes, just install over the top. You will need the MM4.0.3.1463 build as well to get the playlist fix.
guapo

Post by guapo »

Im really impressed by the plugin and the long and vivid discussion here, you're doing a great job Mark, wow!

After some starting problems I got the plugin workin - it syncs any kind playlists without any problems to an empty iTunes and gets the playcounts and ratings back after re-sync. Everything fine! I had a severe problem with the playlist-separator "-" which ripped several playlists apart while building the folders in iTunes, but after replacing it with a weird sign like "`" everything worked, hihi.

First attempts showed mainly two problems I couldnt resolve yet:

1) When I change the NAME of a playlist, d_itunse4.dll renames the list in the auto-sync-list but then instead of simply rename the list in iTunes, the sync produces a new playlist - so one ends up in iTunes with two playlists of the same content, the OLD and NEW name...is that an intended behaviour or did I simply missed a checkbox?

2) Playlists, after sync them to iTunes, kind of get stucked at the position iTunes created them, right? I mean: When moving in MM a playlist from one folder to another between two sync steps, the second step will produce the same list at the new postion but doesnt remove it from the old folder, right?

My settings are:
d_itunes4.dll 4.0.3.2179 with Cache using, dont delete it
MM4
itunes 10.5.2.11
library on external HD, different formats mostly mp3 and lossless aac (m4a)

greeting,
matthias
madz

Post by madz »

I've also just downloaded and installed this plug in and was happily surprised at how well it works - this is actually a fairly complicated task and overall I think it's an excellent solution - credit to you Mark.

There are a couple of things I've noticed that I wanted to ask about / suggest:

- Compilation albums - is there any way to have the sync set the "Part of a compilation" checkbox in iTunes - ie the TCMP frame - if not would it be possible to have an option where you could specify the name of an album artist (or a regex) that if it matches sets this on sync??

- if I dont use a cache folder and instead let iTunes copy the music into its own media folders - when the sync asks iTunes to delete a file, the file is only removed from the library - it isn't deleted from the media folders. Through the iTunes UI you're given the option of removing the file as well - not sure what's exposed in the API - but can we get an option to allow complete removal of the file???

- In the summary screen, on the graph, the MB shown against 'Audio' on the phone will double - eg empty iTunes, I sync the first time and it says 7Mb, then change nothing and sync again and after that it says 14Mb! A restart of media monkey gets me back to the correct value.

- For the cache file names:
- I presume if I mess with this setting i need to ensure I keep the <id> in there to avoid filename clashes?? I also gather that as the tag properties change there's not really any way to update these cache filenames?
- it'd be nice to have the same syntax as you can use in MediaMoney ie same special tags <Track #> etc and also the ability to use folders - I can put the '\' in , but just get an exception "The system cannot find the path specified" during sync.

Thanks Mark - I appreciate this is a free plugin and I'm sure you're geting smashed with support for it now given MM are pointing ppl at it while they sort their iOS 5 sync issues...

Cheers
Mick
madz

Post by madz »

@polymathpangram - if you click on the node in your tree for "d_itunes4.dll on my pc" and then click on the options tab and then on Device Configuration you'll find a whole lot of options - you need to familiarise yourself with these - Mark's plugin manual has a good description of each. You also need to understand that when you sync, you are syncing to iTunes, not to your iPhone - as a separate step you must then sync from iTunes to your iPhone, although there are options for the plugin to trigger this automatically when it finished the sync to iTunes. Hope this helps.
----
Using and loving MM for over 10 years!
ssawyer

Post by ssawyer »

guapo wrote:it syncs any kind playlists without any problems to an empty iTunes
matthias - you mention "an empty iTunes". Any idea how to get an empty iTunes? I tried to keep iTunes from knowing anything about my music library, but one day it "found" it, and now it has all the tracks from my MM library. I'd feel a lot more comfortable trying to sync MM to iTunes with this plugin if my iTunes library was empty! :)
markstuartwalker

@ssawyer: iTunes library (like MM's library) is an index of tracks. An index can be deleted without losing the tracks.
Simply select "Music" and select all the tracks and press the delete button. You will have to delete the playlists similarly.
markstuartwalker

madz wrote:- Compilation albums - is there any way to have the sync set the "Part of a compilation" checkbox in iTunes - ie the TCMP frame - if not would it be possible to have an option where you could specify the name of an album artist (or a regex) that if it matches sets this on sync??
I'm not sure what this means. Please PM me.
madz wrote:- if I dont use a cache folder and instead let iTunes copy the music into its own media folders - when the sync asks iTunes to delete a file, the file is only removed from the library - it isn't deleted from the media folders. Through the iTunes UI you're given the option of removing the file as well - not sure what's exposed in the API - but can we get an option to allow complete removal of the file???
Unfortunately not possible with the API. The preferred way is to maintain your own cache. When the files are removed they are deleted in this mode.
madz wrote:- In the summary screen, on the graph, the MB shown against 'Audio' on the phone will double - eg empty iTunes, I sync the first time and it says 7Mb, then change nothing and sync again and after that it says 14Mb! A restart of media monkey gets me back to the correct value.
I'll look into this. It isn't an area which I've paid recent attention to. It's part of MM and not the plugin. Please check you're running the latest version. http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... start=9999
madz wrote:- For the cache file names:
- I presume if I mess with this setting i need to ensure I keep the <id> in there to avoid filename clashes?? I also gather that as the tag properties change there's not really any way to update these cache filenames?
- it'd be nice to have the same syntax as you can use in MediaMoney ie same special tags <Track #> etc and also the ability to use folders - I can put the '\' in , but just get an exception "The system cannot find the path specified" during sync.
I've added a few more tags for the next version (including <track#>). I use "<Artist>\<id> <title>" and this works with no exceptions. Please re-check.
ssawyer

Post by ssawyer »

markstuartwalker wrote:@ssawyer: iTunes library (like MM's library) is an index of tracks. An index can be deleted without losing the tracks.
Simply select "Music" and select all the tracks and press the delete button. You will have to delete the playlists similarly.
Thanks Mark - I'll do that. I was looking for somewhere in iTunes where the location of the music library ( the physical MP3/FLAC files) was stored, so it doesn't try to rebuild the library but haven't found that yet. I'll keep looking.