Cannot Access Registry

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

fcazabon

Cannot Access Registry

Post by fcazabon »

Hi,

I upgraded to 4.02.1462 and now whenever I start Media Monkey I get the splash screen and a hidden screen saying "Cannot Access Registry". If I manage to close that window, Media Monkey starts fine.

I am on win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I have narrowed it down to a DSP plugin (Enhancer 0.17). If I activate this plugin I get that message, if not, the message does not appear. Of course, this used to work fine with the earlier version 3 and works fine on an XP PC that I use running 4.02.1462.

Any solutions to this?
nohitter151

Re: Cannot Access Registry

Post by nohitter151 »

You probably need to install the plugin on a per-user basis. The plugin should go to

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Plugins

instead of the MM program files folder.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
fcazabon

Post by fcazabon »

Thanks, that did it
fcazabon

Post by fcazabon »

Aargh!

This is frustrating. After a couple months of this working, all of a sudden today it started up again. I've put the enhancer folder in the Roaming folder as suggested above, but MediaMonkey keeps creating an enhancer folder under the plugins folder in the MediaMonkey folder and I keep getting this Cannot access registry error when Media Monkey starts unless I run as administrator.

I downloaded the latest version to see if that fixed the problem, but it hasn't.

I did a Portable install in c:\MediaMonkey.

What can I do?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

fcazabon wrote:Aargh!

This is frustrating. After a couple months of this working, all of a sudden today it started up again. I've put the enhancer folder in the Roaming folder as suggested above, but MediaMonkey keeps creating an enhancer folder under the plugins folder in the MediaMonkey folder and I keep getting this Cannot access registry error when Media Monkey starts unless I run as administrator.

I downloaded the latest version to see if that fixed the problem, but it hasn't.

I did a Portable install in c:\MediaMonkey.

What can I do?
You could move your portable installation to somewhere in your user folder. Then you'd have full access to all the files/locations of your installation.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
fcazabon

Post by fcazabon »

Thanks, but that didn't work. I moved the c:\Mediamonkey folder to c:\Users\Public but still get the same message. The problem is accessing the registry, not the folders, or is the error message pointing to something else? Or do I need to uninstall and reinstall into that folder?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Registry is the MediaMonkey.registry file in the Portable folder in the folder you installed MediaMonkey Portable. Did you maybe set File Associations (Tools > Options > OS Integration) especially the re-associate on startup option
fcazabon

Post by fcazabon »

Lowlander wrote:The Registry is the MediaMonkey.registry file in the Portable folder in the folder you installed MediaMonkey Portable. Did you maybe set File Associations (Tools > Options > OS Integration) especially the re-associate on startup option
OK, found that file (MediaMonkey.registry) and tried changing the security on it so that my standard user can change it, but that still didn't solve the problem.

I definitely do not have the Re-associate file types on startup selected.

I have tried re-installing everything in Users\Public and still no go.

The only thing that seems to work is to set it to run in XP compatibility mode.
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

I was getting this same error...

Installed MM 4.0.6.1501 on Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.. then I installed Winamp Enhancer Plugin and started getting "Error: cannot access registry information" every time I opened MM..

SOLUTION: right-click MM (shortcut on desktop) and select Properties>then select the Compatibility tab>then select>Compatibility Mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7..

No more Error when I open MM!