Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ksteele

Re: Backup 5.8 - Updated 27/10/2010

Post by ksteele »

I'm using MM version 4.0.2.1462 with WinXPSP3.

In MM4, the default location of mediamonkey.ini (for WinXP) is:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini

I've uninstalled Backup 5.8, removed it from Mediamonkey.ini and reinstalled.
Backup 5.8 shows the "settings" path as C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini, which is incorrect and it's grayed out so I can't change it.

Also (maybe related) Backup 5.8 installs it's files to C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Scripts
All my other scripts are here:
C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well the script asks MM for the location of the .ini file it is using, so you might want to double check. Also, MM decides where to install the script, so not much I can do about that - you should get a popup asking if you want it installing for all users or just you.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
ksteele

Post by ksteele »

I double checked and MM4 is using:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini (and creates a mmbackup section each time I reinstall)

I uninstalled Backup 5.8 and removed the mmbackup section from mediamonkey.ini. I reinstalled and chose "all users" this time. This caused the script to install to C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts, which is good, however now the "settings" path is empty.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This must be a bug in MM, sorry.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi,
Since downloading MM4 I have had a problem with Trixmoto's Script which I have used trouble free for some years in MM3 and I am trying to understand what is happening and whether I am causing the problem.

The latest incident happened after adding some music to the library. No changes were made to the settings. When trying to run the backup script I got the Line 12 Character 11 Active X cannot build create object: SongsDB.SDBApplication, Code 800A01AD. error. This thread shows that this is not unusual and I tried logging on as administrator, deleting and re-installing the script etc. etc. Eventually I uninstalled MM and re-installed and Viola! the script is again running.

I cannot understand what caused this error and do not know anything about scripting so opening the script and looking through it did not help. The only thing that I can think of is that a registry key may have been deleted by my registry cleanup program. Does this script use registry keys? I would be surprised as I have been using this registry cleanup program for years with no problem

In the proces of searching for the problem I also noticed that there is something strange about the File source for the second bar on the backup dialogue - Settings. I assume that this is the location for the settings to be backed up. In the Dialogue these fields are browned out and I cannot change the file path. The path shown for the "Settings" data is C:\Users\Username|Appdata\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey

There is no such path on my computer. What I can find is C:\users\Usernane\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey and this last folder contains the MM.DB, MediaMonkey.ini, CDplayer.ini, Extensions.ini files and subfolders for Extensions,Plugins,Scripts, Skins and Trash.

I also do not understand the purpose of the Output Archive which in my case is located at C:\MediaMonkey.zip

Please pardon these dumb questions but I do like to understand the why and how!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Sorry, I don't know anything about the error you got, I haven't seen that before.

I don't think this script checks any registry values, but it certainly doesn't use any for storing information itself.

The settings location is got using an API method, so I think there must be a bug in MM, returning the wrong location.

There is no "purpose" for the output archived, it's just an option that is available, if you wish to have an output archive created.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

I'm sorry for asking probably the most basic of questions. When doing a new install of MM, at what stage of that install/config do you run the Restore.vbs?

The first time I ran it I had already added files to the library so when the restore was run it duplicated all of my files in the library. During the first attempt I got the 2 requests for paths and a message that stated not to click ok until I got a different message stating it was complete. After the 1st failure, I then unistalled and deleted all traces of MM and reinstalled and did not add any files to the library but the the restore did not work properly. I got the 2 requests for paths and it the immediately gave message that the process was finished even though it really do anything. No other messages were displayed. In all instances, the paths were correct. I've always had success with backing up but this is my 1st time trying to restore.

What am I doing wrong? Please explain how and when to run a restore. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

IE 9 Enhanced
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Hi steviegt

(1) Install mediamonkey, (2) close it. (3) Restore the database, settings etc. If it doesn't work automatically you can try manually placing the various files in the right locations.

Hope that helps
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

Thanks for replying. I apprectiate the help. It helps alot. I knew it had to be something easy.
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Pleasure :) Glad that was it and it's fixed
plain

How to Disable Backup

Post by plain »

Hi All:

I installed the Backup VBS script from trixmoto but XP SP3 won`t allow the script to run. I read some of the forum notes about how to make it run but I am not that interested in burning up hours trying to do that since I am not a very good computer guru. I would like to remove the Backup script from MM 4 but when I rename it from .vbs to .vbs.old it gives me a message about not finding the file and I even commented out the .ini entry. How do I get rid of this script in MM4 so I don`t get annoying messages when I close Media Monkey? Thanks for any help.

plain
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried uninstalling it from Tools > Extensions?
MusicBringer

failed backup of MediaMonkey.ini

Post by MusicBringer »

I hope I can explain this issue clearly.
For some reason my MediaMonkey.ini is in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\

The Backup 5.8 looks at Settings C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini.
This is grayed out so I cannot correct it.

Which means that while I thought I had safe backups of my MediaMonkey.ini file I have in fact got an old 1KB [default?] MediaMonkey.ini that is worthless to me.

Having lost files through a PC crash how can I now ensure that Backup 5.8 collects the Real MediaMonkey.ini from C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\

I tried using Other folder and while it collects the underlying files it fails to gather the child folders such as Extensions, Plugins, Scripts [goodness knows why I have these folders spread around in either C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\ OR C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\]
Any ideas please.
Thanks,
Last edited by MusicBringer on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

As I understand it (and I may be wrong), MM4 has consolidated the locations where Extensions, Plugins, Scripts are now stored. It is all stored in "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\" now. Any files stored elsewhere are remnants of MM3 and/or a script that is still not been updated for MM4.

Basically what I ended up doing was leaving all of the folder options unchecked in Backup Settings, and simply point my "Other Folder" to my AppData Roaming folder. That seems to catch everything. At least I think so. :o

This is what it looks like.
--
The gpzbc
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

gpzbc thank you so much for your clear explanation.
I'll copy your settings and do the same as you.
Thank you for taking the trouble to provide a dialogue box image - so helpful.
The only thing is are you sure Backup 5.8 is capturing the folders that sit under C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey.
MediaMonkey user since 2006