Media monkey network help

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

starsoccer

Media monkey network help

Post by starsoccer »

Hi I have been using media monkey for a while and I really love it but I encountered a problem that I cant seem to solve. Basiclly I Have 2 computers 1 is my desktop computer with all my music on it. The other computer is a laptop that doesnt really move and is connected to my tv. I want to get all my music from my desktop computer to stream to my laptop. That was easy and I knew how todo that. The next problem I had was Playlists. How can I have play all the playist with the laptop without having to do it manually. Also the last probaly I have is how do I use the database from my desktop computer with out screwing everything up. For example I when on my laptop and set it up to use the database on my desktop. So that worked but it said none of my music was avalible. On my desktop the database says c/myuser/appdata/local/mediamonkey, but on the laptop they all would have to be changed to //desktop/myuser/appdata/local/mediamonkey, Which I cant do becuase then it would change all of the ones on my desktop to that location which is a big deal.

Then After playing around and haveing it rescan my network drive i had it add only like 10 songs. I figured out that just because it says that doesnt mean it actully goes through my server to get the music which would be stupid. So I said problem solved execpt it still wasnt. It will re add all my songs back in to mediamonkey which would then screw up all my playlists such as my new music playlist which gets all the new music I have and plays it. Does anyone have a good solution. Also If I have to I could hook the laptop up to the computer somehow but I dont think that would work
nohitter151

Re: Media monkey network help

Post by nohitter151 »

What you need is the new Media sharing feature in MM4. So you can stream over the network on any PC running MM (or via any other uPnP devices).

MM4 is in beta testing and you can download it here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 75#p314023

Don't forget you need to specifically enable Media sharing in the MM4 options (Options > Media sharing) including choosing which collections and/or playlists you want to be discoverable over the network.

Last, remember it's a beta release, so there are still some issues being worked out. Though we are getting very close to a release, you can still expect some minor issues if you decide to give it a shot.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
starsoccer

Post by starsoccer »

I downloaded it and I really like the new look and all but that didnt fix my problem. I played around with the whole media sharing features and it didnt help or solve any problems. How is the other computer supposed to connect. There is no way. Its possible for other devices to connect but not the other coputer correct.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to run MediaMonkey on the other computer and then the Media Servers node will show the MediaMonkey Media Server.
starsoccer

Post by starsoccer »

Thank you lowlander that worked great