MM4 often becomes unresponsive

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ChrisJenkins

MM4 often becomes unresponsive

Post by ChrisJenkins »

Is anyoine else experiencing that MM4 often becomes unresponsive and has to be killed? This seems to happen in various scenarios; selecting 'Properties' for a file while the startup file scan is running is one prime example that I see. Also, I just closed MM4 and it became unresponsive. Are there known issues in this area that are being addressed or do I need too try and capture a debug log for each occurrance and then log a bug for each?
Lowlander

Re: MM4 often becomes unresponsive

Post by Lowlander »

Only DLNA playback of corrupted MPEG2 files on a specific device seems to bring down my monkey and even drag Explorer along. In any case try to generate a debug log and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

Mine will often become unresponsive when I try to use a network path for a shared DB file. I have switched back to a local DB for thetime being and everything is working fine again.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

mediamonkey 4 handles more stuff and has more items in the database. So, it goes without saying i thought.? that it will take more memory and cpu cycles also. thus causing it to slow down or stop responding on computers with full or next to full hard drives which are unable to randomly add more vert memory if needed. and if your system has low ram, or you set your multiple cpu cores to run monkey on only one of them. things like that can slow down monkey enough to stop him.

i've still got mm exe set to run in high priority. as it gives me best reaction for him.

now all above being said you still might have run in to an issue on your op system, i use xp pro so the above works for me. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

Yes all that is true but none of those are limits on my system and the issue has been there for years under XP, Vista and now 7. Single core, dual core, and quad core cpus, 2, 4, and 8GB of RAM. The bottleneck for mine appears to be the network. When MM is running it periodocally overwhelms the NIC and consequently MM becomes unresponsive or just very slow to respond to input. The computer itself still works fine. If all MM is doing is reading data from an 80MB db file I don't see how it can tie up a gigabit network. I have tested the network and it is running as fast as possible.

This has been a problem since 3.X I have posted on it before but never got any kind of response. I think I kind of push the limits of what MM is currently designed to do so I don't expect immediate answers but this network thing is puzzling.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Although SQLite isn't meant to be used over the network, but it does work. I've run a 1GB DB over the network and it works.
68rustang wrote:I have posted on it before but never got any kind of response
Did you create debug logs as without them it's hard to fix anything.
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

I did not at that time. I will set it back up with the networked DB and see what I can get.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And of course as file transfer over network is slower than from local hard drive you can't expect the same speeds in I/O intensive database tasks (like complex AutoPlaylists/Collections).
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

obviously.

Post by Guest »

Interestingly, I too have a shared DB on a network drive. This used to work fine with MM3 (no slowdowns or hangs) but MM4 seems rather flaky in this area. Hardware spec is not the issue (Core i7 Extreme, 12 GB RAM, RAID-0 Velociraptors, GigaBit private LAN, high end server machine). I will try and gather debug logs when the problem occurs but it sounds like access to a network DB in MM4 is clearly an issue and needs to be looked at.
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

Exactly. Rescanning the directories at startup over a network will obviously take longer. I don't understand why MM 4 basically becomes unresponsive for minutes at a time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled? This can significantly improve performance.
68rustang

Post by 68rustang »

yes, no difference