Xbox 360 Sees ALL media, not just shared!

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Gamerdude

Xbox 360 Sees ALL media, not just shared!

Post by Gamerdude »

Hello

I have the sharing feature up and running after configuring my firewall. Audio (the media I am sharing) plays on my 360 from my pc over my network.

The problem is, the 360 is able to see ALL my media, not just media which I am sharing.

I will repeat the exact steps here I did to produce the problem, and how I tested the problem to verify before this post. Starting from the default settings of a fresh install:

1) Create 1 collection called "Shares A", and use a criteria using a specific sub folder name. For example PATH="\Metal"
2) Create 1 collection called "Shares B", and use criteria of a specific full folder path. For example PATH="C:\Music\Metal\"
3) Create 1 collection called "Shares C", and use criteria of a specific album path. For example PATH= "C:\Music\Metal\Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath"

All three of these collections are shared on their own server via the automatically given port number, and configured to auto accept new connections.

In MediaMonkey, these collections are displayed properly, showing what should be shown. Nothing is shown outside of "Metal" albums, and the "Share C" collection only shows a single album. Each of the 3 servers shown on my 360, grants access to MY ENTIRE MUSIC LIBRARY, completely ignoring the criteria set for my collection.

I wasn't too happy about MS getting my entire list of music.
nohitter151

Re: Xbox 360 Sees ALL media, not just shared!

Post by nohitter151 »

I can't reproduce, are you sure you're looking at the MediaMonkey server and not something else on your PC, maybe from WMP or some other server?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Also make sure you're running MediaMonkey 4.0.3.1476 (latest).
Gamerdude

Post by Gamerdude »

I am running 4.0.3.1476, and I don't have any other sharing apps running - including windows media player's share features. Also I'm pretty strict with my firewall, process, and service settings for security reasons.

I have cleared the Xbox 360 cache by going to Memory, and pressing Y on my main drive and choosing the option to clear the cache. It didn't help. I have tried restarting the system after changing shares, which also didn't help.

Here are some more details.

My PC is running Vista. Under the UPnP/DNLA server it reveals that the CLIENT NAME is "Xbox/2.0.14719.0 UPnP/1.0 Xbox/2.0.14719.0".

I will try a few other things today when I get the chance, such as hiding my main collection "All Music" and just showing the limited collection(s) I want shared.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can't reproduce on a Sony TV. I created a Collection with a specific Path used which contains a single Artist. Going to the Artist & Album Artist node for that Collection on the Sony TV only showed that Artist.

You may want to send a debug log (step 4b) capturing you browsing on the XBOX showing more content that Collection contains and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Windows7, and likely Windows Vista provide DLNA access through the Library functions. So if you have shared them via the Library its possible the access is coming from that.