Streaming MKVs to PS3

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

scottycope

Streaming MKVs to PS3

Post by scottycope »

Hi Everyone,

This evening, I shared out a few mkv files that I have, hoping to stream them to my PS3 downstairs using Media Monkey 4 Media Server but to no avail. The PS3 gives Unsupported Media Type when I try to stream the .mkv files using MM. Other .avi files play nicely through MMs Media Server. These .mkvs don't play at all.

I have port forwarding set up correctly. My PS3 is using a wired connection to my router, via MOCA, but I've had no problems streaming movies via MOCA from an old Popcorn Hour box nor do I have issues streaming movies from Amazon on my ps3. I can also successfully stream mp3s using Media Server.

On the UPnP/DLNA Server tab, it sees my PS3 correctly as the Status shows 'Accepted'.

I have tried PS3 Media Server and, while the files were choppy and a bit laggy, they did play, which is further along than I got with MM.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the cause or, better yet, how to fix it? I'll admit my one area of weakness is the auto-conversion rules. Is there a specific rule that I should check/set up to get this up and running?
Lowlander

Re: Streaming MKVs to PS3

Post by Lowlander »

Does the PS3 play MKV files? If not you'd need to do conversion.
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

I don't think the PS3 plays MKV files natively, but I am able to watch the movies on my PS3 when the files are streamed through PS3 Media Server.

Below are my auto-conversion rules:

Below are the options in my MM Supported Format Configuration:

Initially, MKV was unchecked as a supported format (hindsight says that is probably correct), then I checked the box. It didn't work. After your post, I unchecked it and tested it again. No luck yet.

Do you see anything in the above rules/format configuration that throws a red flag? Like I said, this stuff intimidates me. :)

Thanks!
Scott
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you know if the PS3 supports WMV? Others on the forum have PS3's and may know more.
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

According to notes I found from Playstation (http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... types.html), WMV files can be played but only by enabling it in the settings. (Settings) > (System Settings) and set [Enable WMA Playback].

I have enabled this previously but it still is not working. Is there another file format that I can convert to? Or is there another trick to getting to this stream to the PS3 using WMV?

Stumped,
Scott
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You're better off using PS3 media encoder for the time being, MM doesn't support muxing which PS3 media encoder does and it much more efficient especially if you are playing high resolution mkv video. Basically when you try to play a multimedia file on your PS3 and the format is not supported you get a “data corrupted” message. PS3 media server is able to change the container format online if it’s not supported (e.g. mkv). It extracts the audio and video stream and puts it into a supported m2ts-container. (This is called muxing.)

MM can only transcode, (eg. convert to a totally different audio/video stream format) but the WMV files that it transcodes to are somehow not compatible on the PS3.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

thanks for the info. that was very informative and helpful. i appreciate that.

do you know if there are plans for MM to handle muxing in the future? i can live with PS3 media server for the time being but it is just another process running in the background. i'd much rather just consolidate everything into one application (MM is my choice).

although, i do find it odd that WMV files do not play on the ps3. is that common, do you know? or am I the exception?

Thanks again for all the info.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

scottycope wrote:thanks for the info. that was very informative and helpful. i appreciate that.

do you know if there are plans for MM to handle muxing in the future? i can live with PS3 media server for the time being but it is just another process running in the background. i'd much rather just consolidate everything into one application (MM is my choice).

although, i do find it odd that WMV files do not play on the ps3. is that common, do you know? or am I the exception?

Thanks again for all the info.
I also have a ps3 and transcoding to the WMV format doesn't work in my experience. I'm not sure why, because it will play original WMV files streamed from MM.

I don't have any idea if MM plans to implement muxing like PS3 media server, but I do hope so.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.