Direct Play FLAC

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dameonjamie

Direct Play FLAC

Post by dameonjamie »

I just installed Media Monkey yesterday on my PC (Windows 7 64bit) added all my FLAC files and was able to stream to my Samsung Smart TV (Samsung UA60H6300 60). Just want to note that my TV plays FLAC natively from USB.

I was really happy to see that My TV found MediaMonkey so quickly and played all my FLAC files that are on my PC. I was even happier to see that from my PC in MediaMonkey I could select my Samsung TV as my playback device and could control playback on said device from my PC.

Am I correct to say that the FLAC files are playing directly? That is without transcoding? If not, how can I be sure that I am getting bitperfect playback when streaming to my TV?

I do see that under Tools->Media Sharing(UPnP/DLNA)-> I have 2 entries: MediaMonkey Library and MediaMonkey Server.

When I click "Options" for either of them I see my TV.

Selecting my TV on either entry I have options again and I see 2 tabs: "Shared Content" and "Auto Conversion".

If I tick "Customize for this device" I have some options available to me.

What do I want to do to ensure that FLAC that plays back on my TV is "bitperfect" (a term I only saw fr the 1st time yesterday). I want to ensure no transcoding is happening.

Thank you.
khelsing

Re: Direct Play FLAC

Post by khelsing »

Hello dameonjamie,

welcome to the forums.
how can I be sure that I am getting bitperfect playback when streaming to my TV?
Goto "Tools" -> "Options" - "Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA").

Select "MediaMonkey Library" and click "Options". Choose the tab "Auto-Conversion", uncheck all options in "Format on PC" and click "Ok". Repeat these steps for "MediaMonkey Server".

However, given the sound quality of the speaker systems the manufacturers use for flatscreen TVs these settings won't make much difference. My guess is that FLAC won't sound better than MP3@128k or AAC@96k.
dameonjamie

Post by dameonjamie »

Hi khelsing,

Thank you for your very fast reply. I will try this tonight.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR 313 connected to the TV (or vice versa). You're right I wouldnt waste your time if it were the TV speakers. :)
dameonjamie

Post by dameonjamie »

khelsing wrote:Goto "Tools" -> "Options" - "Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA").

Select "MediaMonkey Library" and click "Options". Choose the tab "Auto-Conversion", uncheck all options in "Format on PC" and click "Ok". Repeat these steps for "MediaMonkey Server".

Hi khelsing,

Thank you. That sounds perfect. Is that all I need to do or do I also need to change the settings on my Samsung LED 60 which shows up when I click options on MediaMonkey Library and MediaMonkey Server?
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

dameonjamie wrote:do I also need to change the settings on my Samsung LED 60 which shows up when I click options on MediaMonkey Library and MediaMonkey Server?
That shouldn't be necessary, but if you want to be 1000% sure that MM doesn't transcode you can uncheck or delete all auto-conversion rules there, too.