Service Starts but doesn't work

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jpbmass

Service Starts but doesn't work

Post by jpbmass »

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit with its native DLNA server. Since W 10 won't have WMP, I've been trying to set up the DLNA server on MMW to play on my TV via a Sony DVD player. This works Great as long as MMW is running, but when I close the program, my DVD player no longer sees the MMServer, even though MM Service is installed and running. When I start the MM program, things work fine; when I close the program, the connection between DVD/TV and Computer is lost. Help??
Last edited by jpbmass on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Service Starts bus doesn't work

Post by Lowlander »

Did you install the service as the same Windows User?
jpbmass

Re: Service Starts but doesn't work

Post by jpbmass »

Yes -- I am the only user of this computer.
Last edited by jpbmass on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Service Starts bus doesn't work

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
jpbmass

Post by jpbmass »

I'm using 4.1.7.1741 I think I found the problem but do not know how to fix it. I ended up installing the mm service as a "local system service" instead of a network service; this is why it appears to be running but does not work. I uninstalled and then attempted to reinstall, but the procedure calls for a (network) password (I don't use a password to protect my hardwired home network); the service installs but will not start due to a "login failure".
Last edited by jpbmass on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpbmass

Post by jpbmass »

Well, that was not the problem. I've installed MM service as a network service; it has started, but no joy. There is still no DLNA service to my DVD/TV unless the MMW program is running.
jpbmass

Post by jpbmass »

Problem Solved -- your first question was really the key. I don't fully understand services, but ALL my other services are logged in as "Local System Service" or "Network Service". MM needs to be logged in under my personal account. The install program attempted to use ".\Jim" where as it needed to use just "Jim". Once I made that minor change, everything works just fine.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey has its settings per Windows User profile. Does when you enable the DLNA server and set it up in MediaMonkey the service will need to be the same user to use those settings.