Rip FLAC but receiver is claiming mp3

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Orcrone

Rip FLAC but receiver is claiming mp3

Post by Orcrone »

I ripped all my CDs as FLAC files. However when they're streamed to my pre/proc (Marantz AV8801) the pre/proc lists the file as being mp3 and 160 kbps. Could MM be converting the files to mp3 while streaming? I have other devices that I can stream to, but this is the only one that lists the format used.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
nohitter151

Re: Rip FLAC but receiver is claiming mp3

Post by nohitter151 »

Check your auto-conversion rules at Options > Media Sharing for the server you've set up
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Orcrone

Post by Orcrone »

Hmmm.... One of the options is to play 160 kbps mp3 if it's an incompatible format above 160 kbps. Now I have to wonder why it's an incompatible format when my pre/proc processes flac files.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Orcrone wrote:Hmmm.... One of the options is to play 160 kbps mp3 if it's an incompatible format above 160 kbps. Now I have to wonder why it's an incompatible format when my pre/proc processes flac files.
At the bottom of the auto-conversion tab you can configure the compatible formats

Orcrone

Post by Orcrone »

Thanks!!! That did it.

Now if you don't mind I'd like to understand it a little better. At the top of the dialog box for defining supported modes is a simple drop down box listing modes. Underneath that is a set of three drop down boxes; modes, sampling rate and channels. I'm guessing that I have a choice of defining supported modes in either the top or bottom section. Selecting FLAC in the top drop down box will select all frequencies and channels for that format. Alternatively I could have selected FLAC in the lower section and then selected the supported sampling frequencies and channels. Is that correct?

I just noticed that my pre/proc lists the supported sampling freqs? I'm guessing I should have used the bottom section because the pre/proc does not list all sampling freqs. I also have no idea about channels 1 through 8. Lastly what if I have multiple devices supporting different formats; for instance one supports FLAC and the other doesn't, so they have different conversion rules?

Once again. Thank you very much for your help.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Orcrone wrote:Lastly what if I have multiple devices supporting different formats; for instance one supports FLAC and the other doesn't, so they have different conversion rules?
Under UPNP/DLNA tab, select your particular device, then "Options". See Auto-conversion tab, and "Customize for this device" checkbox

Orcrone

Post by Orcrone »

Thanks. I guess what makes sense is to sit down with the various media player devices and make a profile for each, specifying each one's supported modes.

I am not familiar with the channel specifier (1 through 8).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Just concentrate on the top section. The bottom should really only be used for specific cases.

Channels is the number of separate audio tracks in a stream. So:

1 = Mono
2 = Stereo
3 = 2.1 surround sound
4 = 4.0 sound
5 = 5.0 sound
6= 5.1 surround sound
7 = 7.0 sound
8 = 7.1 surround sound

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_ ... r_channels

Orcrone

Post by Orcrone »

Got it. So regular everyday CDs would be 2 channels, a 5.1 DVD would be 6 channels, etc.

Thanks!!!

I'm now experimenting with customizing the set of supported formats for each device.