2 Questions Regarding Server - Shortcuts? Play Now?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MediaApe12345

2 Questions Regarding Server - Shortcuts? Play Now?

Post by MediaApe12345 »

These issues are probably simple to fix but I've spent hours searching with no luck. Maybe it's just one of those days.

I'm hosting a MM server on one PC, then connecting to it from another PC on the same network.

1) How do I make a shortcut to the exact music location so I don't have to wade through 10 branches in the directory tree? This is painful.

2) How do I activate the "Play Now" feature (when right clicking a directory). "Play Now, Alt + Enter" is greyed out, so I'm not able to play a folder or multiple files like with MM local. Thought maybe Playlists would be an alternative but MM crashes violently whenever I go near the Playlist menu. Always has on every MM version I've used. However I don't use Playlists much so it's not a big deal. I'd just like to be able to play multiple files on a server like I do when I'm playing music locally.

I've done three fresh installs with three different PCs, and have tried several different versions of MM, and the results are always the same.
Lowlander

Re: 2 Questions Regarding Server - Shortcuts? Play Now?

Post by Lowlander »

1) Only if you scan them into the Library (which would also resolve 2).

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried scanning the media server files into my library but it seems like it never completes the scan properly, whether it's network interruptions or just too much for MM to handle over the network. Mind you, there are 75K files. Which reminds me, MM often crashes when adding media to a media device like a USB drive. It makes it through a % and then crashes or just gets stuck.

Anyway, it'd be great if MM implemented the Play Now feature for directories on a media server. It'd also be great if they had a shortcut feature to go immediately to the preferred directory on the media server.

As there are clearly issues with 3 major parts of MM -- media server, playlists, media device syncing -- I think I'll go on the hunt for better software.

If I end up coming back to MM, I may try duplicating my library locally and on the media server and use file duplication/sync software, and have two separate databases. This isn't ideal. I've tried the NAS drive method where you point to the same database on both PCs but had major issues with this.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You put good points here. If you do not want to register can you please send me an email to "pavle"at"mediamonkey.com" as I would like to go into more details?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts

Post by Guest »

Hey, I'd love to help out with troubleshooting and so forth but I already have a heavy plate of similar IT work as it's my business. Too much like work and I have plenty :) Unless you're looking for a consultant, in which case I'll consider :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In one thing you are completely right, too much things to do and work on if you want to make things right, good to know that you are offering to help like others here. I noted you.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Guest wrote:MM often crashes when adding media to a media device like a USB drive. It makes it through a % and then crashes or just gets stuck.
This has been a regression, already fixed in the last 4.1.15 RC : http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13911
Guest wrote: Anyway, it'd be great if MM implemented the Play Now feature for directories on a media server.
This is already possible in MM 5.0.0 (alfa) , but I added this to be fixed for 4.1 version too: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13946