Streaming music playlists to Sony TV

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

erictheelk

Streaming music playlists to Sony TV

Post by erictheelk »

I have installed MediaMonkey 4 Gold to replace Windows Media Player 12. The TV I am using accepts MP3 and LPCM formats, which I thought would cover WMA files as well as MP3. WMP12 can stream both to my TV.

I have created equivalent playlists in MediaMonkey but only MP3 files are displayed and play on the TV. What have I missed?
Lowlander

Re: Streaming music playlists to Sony TV

Post by Lowlander »

Perhaps WMP is auto-converting which MediaMonkey can do too (Tools > Options > Media Sharing and configure the Media Server).

I don't think that WMA is LPCM, but maybe LPCM could be a WMA.
erictheelk

Post by erictheelk »

This is what is confusing me. If I open the TV and select a playlist from the WMP server, the TV shows MP3 files as MP3 and WMA files as LPCM. So the TV is accepting both file types, and it plays them correctly.
If I create the same titles into a playlist in MediaMonkey and select that on the TV, the TV just shows the MP3 files. WMA files are not shown at all, like they aren't on the playlist.

I did try configuring auto-conversion, but it made no difference. Of course I may not have done it correctly and I am not sure what the relationship is between LPCM and WMA, I am afraid. Would WPM convert WMA into LPCM?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

erictheelk wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:36 amWould WPM convert WMA into LPCM?
That's what I'm assuming.

In MediaMonkey you could remove WMA from the Supported Formats list and set the conversion rule for unsupported audio to convert to MP3. WAV may be supported as well. Or you can set an explicit conversion rule to convert WMA to MP3.