Ext SDcard unavailable in Options after KitKat upd [#11542]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

creativconfusion

Re: Ext SDcard unavailable in Options after KitKat update #1

Post by creativconfusion »

I am currently running a bone stock HTC M8 - 4.4.2
I am on MMA 249.

The external SD Card sync seems to be working perfectly as far as I know ( THANK YOU !!! ).

However, in the menu items it indicates this is only partially fixed.
I guess I'm wondering what that means, since it says "click for more information" and when I click nothing happens.
Can you explain?

Thanks!
-John
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

The issue I'm getting with this is that the sync reports that it's working fine and tells me how many tracks downloaded etc. but they never appear on my device.

I'm running the 4.1.1.703 mmw and the latest MMA beta 249 on my stock S4 running kit-kat 4.4 - any ideas?
gdoten

Post by gdoten »

Same thing as PhilDG .. MM says the sync to the external card went fine, but there are no files on the card. Any ideas?
Emmitt_Nervend

Post by Emmitt_Nervend »

I'm also using stock HTC One m8 with 4.4.2 KitKat with MMA 249 and wireless sync to SD is now working. I just started a 5,000 song sync so I'll report back when it's done to confirm if things like ratings and playlists also sync over properly.
Emmitt_Nervend

Post by Emmitt_Nervend »

Although I just now noticed that the internal storage is filling up alongside the external SD card. I then terminated the Sync and all the music disappeared from the player. The files still exist on the SD card under Android/Data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkeybeta/files/music but when I try to direct MMA to that directory to look for files, nothing is found. Furthermore, I could not find any files on my internal storage that were taking up the 2GB that showed up once I started the sync (which was more than the 1.74GB worth of music that was synced over before cancelling the sync) and it didn't disappear until after I uninstalled MMA. I have no idea where this data was being stored because I could not locate it with any file explorer. It seemed completely hidden.

not good...
jczelust

Does The KitKat Update Disable MM's Use Of The SD Card?

Post by jczelust »

I already submitted a support request but I thought I would probe the thoughts of the forum. My Samsung Note 10.1 2014 was updated to Kit Kat last week. Previous to the update I was able to sync a playlist in the Media Monkey Library to my device's external SD Card. After the update I can not. I have 151 songs that need to be synced. The initial sync from the device seems to go fine. The device finds the server and 'appears' to be downloading the songs albeit a little fast. But then at the very end it says: 'unable to download 151 tracks'.

I also have Samsung Galaxy Note III with Kit Kat installed as well but my music is installed on the internal memory. There is no problems with this. The device synced the same 151 songs without an error.

I am using Wi-Fi sync on both devices.

So this bears the question: Is the ability to sync to an external SD card on Android devices via Media Monkey negated by the Kit Kat update? If so, this is crippling to Media Monkey users.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or workarounds?
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Update to the latest beta of 1.0.5 and send debug log (from About screen) right after sync if you still have problems with SD card on KitKat.
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

I just did a sync - it reported that 100-odd tracks were downloaded but they don't appear on the external SD card - I have sent the debug log in
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Hi, we still work on it.

But when you have successfully synchronized all tracks, they were synchronized to /Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files. Current build has bug that this path is not auto-added to library. So please go to Options -> Choose library folders -> External storage and check Android folder manually. Your tracks will appear.

Please note that this folder is deleted when MMA is uninstalled. This is unfortunately a limitation of these readonly storages.
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

Aha - now I see - thanks for pointing this out!
Emmitt_Nervend

Post by Emmitt_Nervend »

bhiefer wrote:Hi, we still work on it.

But when you have successfully synchronized all tracks, they were synchronized to /Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files. Current build has bug that this path is not auto-added to library. So please go to Options -> Choose library folders -> External storage and check Android folder manually. Your tracks will appear.

Please note that this folder is deleted when MMA is uninstalled. This is unfortunately a limitation of these readonly storages.

I did that and it didn't seem to do anything. It almost seemed like the files themselves weren't registering as valid files and When I connected my phone to my computer and browsed the files that way, it listed all the files as having no information apart from the file name and the track length for every file was at 0:00. I could play these files in Media Monkey on my PC but strangely, I could not play them using any other software, including VLC. Also, when I performed the sync, I did a straight sync and did not have any of the files converted or altered in anyway.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Emmitt_Nervend wrote:
bhiefer wrote:Hi, we still work on it.

I did that and it didn't seem to do anything. It almost seemed like the files themselves weren't registering as valid files and When I connected my phone to my computer and browsed the files that way, it listed all the files as having no information apart from the file name and the track length for every file was at 0:00. I could play these files in Media Monkey on my PC but strangely, I could not play them using any other software, including VLC. Also, when I performed the sync, I did a straight sync and did not have any of the files converted or altered in anyway.
Could you please delete the corrupted tracks in MMA and do the sync again ? After sync completes, please send us logs from About dialog->Send logs and post log id here. Thanks
Al Fischer

MMA With KitKat -- Any hope?

Post by Al Fischer »

Well I read the link Lowlander sent http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=74609 and then Googled it some more. Interesting, and madening!Google is getting too big for their boots! GRRRR!

Is there a reasonable solution other than rooting and trying one of the fixes? I hesitate, not because of the lame 'security' excuse, but because I am not really totally familiar with Android yet.

I tried several other players and Poweramp seems to handle it quite well. I would prefer to use MMA. I do (did) like it!

Any chance MMA can be fixed to work properly with KitKat?
Last edited by Lowlander on Sat May 10, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
creativconfusion

Post by creativconfusion »

HTC M8
MMA 252
Just took the brand new update to MMA beta and it broke the external storage.
It was working just fine on the previous version (249) but now external storage is no longer an option for sync. It only shows internal.
Is there a way to roll back?
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

creativconfusion wrote:HTC M8
MMA 252
Just took the brand new update to MMA beta and it broke the external storage.
It was working just fine on the previous version (249) but now external storage is no longer an option for sync. It only shows internal.
Is there a way to roll back?
Yes build 252 includes new way how to access readonly external storages. But it is quite device specific and we don't have all devices. So we are sorry for this but could you be so kind and send us logs from About dialog->Send logs and post log id here... I can create a quick fix for you...