Audio Book Features!?!

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

schimschone

Audio Book Features!?!

Post by schimschone »

Longtime Media Monkey User and use it across all my devices.. in short, it's the only media player I want to use. However, for audio books or lectures it's kinda crappy.. so below I've offered some features I'd like.. and heck, i'd be willing to shell out a couple more bucks for as an add-n to my android. (Nevertheless they should also be added to gold for free :wink: )

1. Increased/decreased playback speed. - Ex: x1.2, x1.5, x1.75 could be preset.
2. Bookmarking and notes - this could even allow an export to a text file or OneNote or something.
3. Saved progress - similar to above, but allowing a user to listen to another file and come back.
4. Long file compatibility - for instance, I'm often listening to long mp3 lectures and these can range from 3 to 4 hours
5. (This one should be in the regular MM player on all platforms) Jump to specific time on a track - One thing missing from MM in general is an advanced player function, allowing for detailed listening. Just like I'm able to display an equalizer I should be able to play Fast Forward and Rewind and specify specific sections of a track I want to go to.

Thanks
heronheart

Re: Audio Book Features!?!

Post by heronheart »

[quote="schimschone"
1. Increased/decreased playback speed. - Ex: x1.2, x1.5, x1.75 could be preset.
2. Bookmarking and notes - this could even allow an export to a text file or OneNote or something.
3. Saved progress - similar to above, but allowing a user to listen to another file and come back.
4. Long file compatibility - for instance, I'm often listening to long mp3 lectures and these can range from 3 to 4 hours
5. (This one should be in the regular MM player on all platforms) Jump to specific time on a track - One thing missing from MM in general is an advanced player function, allowing for detailed listening. Just like I'm able to display an equalizer I should be able to play Fast Forward and Rewind and specify specific sections of a track I want to go to.

+1 Especially 2 & 3.
lkraus

Post by lkraus »

heronheart wrote:[quote="schimschone"

+1 Especially 2 & 3.
Really need this.
Audio books can run 8+ hours - more than I can listen to at one time.
Would like to listen to a little music and then come back to a book at the point I left off.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
1. can be archived using DSP plugins
2, 3 If track is set as Audiobook/Podcast y default progress is saved and MMW continue where you left over, if not you can enable bookmarking per type in Tools -> Option -> Player -> Playback rules
4. Script can be made easily to let you enter exact time where you will jump to.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

Peke wrote:Hi,
1. can be archived using DSP plugins
2, 3 If track is set as Audiobook/Podcast y default progress is saved and MMW continue where you left over, if not you can enable bookmarking per type in Tools -> Option -> Player -> Playback rules
4. Script can be made easily to let you enter exact time where you will jump to.
If MM is going to be an audiobook player (obviously that is intended or it wouldn't manage them) then it should intuitively support features that are necessary for a good audiobook player. Of course features take time but it is important for the success of the feature.

1. This should be natural and not reply on some plugin that is not it's intended use.
2-3 Again, it's not working intutively. It should just happen, period. Progress should be saved, per book, automatically.
4 (really 5). Why should a consumer need to write a script to do, as stated previously, what should be a standard feature?

We appreciate the suggestions but not as replacement for actual features.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
kknostman wrote:If MM is going to be an audiobook player (obviously that is intended or it wouldn't manage them) then it should intuitively support features that are necessary for a good audiobook player. Of course features take time but it is important for the success of the feature.

1. This should be natural and not reply on some plugin that is not it's intended use.
2-3 Again, it's not working intutively. It should just happen, period. Progress should be saved, per book, automatically.
4 (really 5). Why should a consumer need to write a script to do, as stated previously, what should be a standard feature?

We appreciate the suggestions but not as replacement for actual features.
1. MediaMonkey is Management application not just player where focus is always firstly on management/handling features rather than advanced player features like tempo and speed and there is DSP plugin included with MMW that will do just that.
2,3 I have no issues with my podcasts and Audiobooks, progress is saved (and showed in Track listing under played #). Again MMW do not just handle Podcasts and Audiobooks so if some file is not tagged as an audiobook/podcast than MMW can't assume that it is Audiobook/Podcast so you need to either correctly tag files so that native handler kicks in or you need to tell it to handle all files as audiobooks. There is number of ways to do this in MMW
4/5. Most apps do not even allow users to expand its features to suit their needs simple ask in Forum would be enough that someone write you 10 lines of script and enable you Jump to feature if Playback progress bar is not enough.
Best regards,
Peke
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

I'm confused are we talking about MediaMonkey Android or MediaMonkey Windows? The forum title indicates this is a feature request for MMA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's supposed to be about MMA and the requests were made for MMA.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ok you are all right I was talking about MMW, I didn't paid attention.

Shame on me :(
Best regards,
Peke
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

:wink:
Dedors

Post by Dedors »

I dont like to suggest an other app here, but I use smart audio book player for my audiobooks on my Android device. It has many great features and I deeply hope mediamonkey will take over some important, or that some devs try it out to get the feeling how a good audiobook experience can be.
frs1966

bookmarks for audiobooks

Post by frs1966 »

Sorry, my english is not good enough to understand each article here.
Are bookmarks possible in MMA or not?

I like to hear audiobooks, sometimes 2 or 3 parallel. But I always have to keep in mind the latest chapter. That is annoying.

Also preferable:
-a button to re-play the last 15 Sec not?
-the possibility to rate the whole audiobook, not each single chapter, that makes no sense.
-to set a marking "unheard" or "already listen to"