SD card vanished in mmw for USB Sync

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

SD card vanished in mmw for USB Sync

Post by terryo »

mma just upgraded itself to 1.1.3.0496 (on Note 3)
mmw is current at 4.1.9.1764 (in Win 7)

mmw no longer sees the SD card. mma functions just as it did after last successful sync, which was before the upgrade.

All my music is on the SD card. How do get mmw to see the card so I can do a sync?
terryo

Re: SD card vanished in mmw

Post by terryo »

bug log JZ4V8NLJ2W
mma is current at 1.1.3.0496 (on Note 3, SM-N900A version)
mmw is current at 4.1.9.1764 (in Win 7 with all current updates)

Log sent immediately after syncing and opening mma. The sync was to the phone memory for one track, "Diaspora 15-1105" in the otherwise empty playlist "z - Diaspora for sync"

This sync wiped all other playlists out of mma. The tracks remain on the card and are playable, but the playlists are gone.

At the moment, I cannot restore the playlists with a second sync (which I have repeatedly done as a workaround for some unrepaired bug) because the SD card disappeared from mmw since the most recent update to mma.

This is my first sync since the SD card disappeared in mmw. The card remains visible in Win Explorer.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Terryo,

Can you update to MMA 1.1.3.499? It fixes several issues that could be at the root of this.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Thanks!

-Rusty
terryo

Post by terryo »

mma is current at 1.1.3.0499 (on Note 3, SM-N900A version)
mmw is current at 4.1.9.1764 (in Win 7 with all current updates)

Updated as suggested. No change. Still can't see the card.
arachnophilia

Post by arachnophilia »

having the same issue. galaxy s5, MMA build 499, MMW build 1764.

if i flip the connection to USB 3.0, MMW will see the card to sync. but this doesn't actually work for syncing (seems to want to resync the entire library, not sure what it's actually doing).

edit: i should note that MMA plays from the SD card just fine. i can also edit files, and those edits stick in MMA, but don't appear to affect the files on the card (write to tags). may be a permissions issue?
rusty

Post by rusty »

terryo,

Can you confirm whether you're doing a USB sync or Wi-Fi sync?

Note: I've tested both on a Samsung Tablet running lollipop and the only issue I've observed is that a new sync profile was created on upgrade to lollipop/MMA 1.1.3, and as a consequence:
- I had to re-enable access in MMW to my device for the new sync profile
- I had to re-sync the content to the new storage location (since prior to 1.1.3 MMA used an App-specific folder rather than /SD Card/Music/ )

Can you:
1) Confirm that MediaMonkey for Android shows an active sync profile in Options > Sync Settings > Storage location settings > Sync to this location
2) Confirm that In MediaMonkey for Windows, Options > Portable Device Sync has:
- Not more than one sync profile per storage location (normally there should be one profile for the device's internal storage, and a second one for the SD card. If there are duplicates, determine which is the correct profile by comparing which profile has sync settings that match those in MMA, and then delete the duplicates).
- The appropriate sync profile(s) enabled (and unused profiles disabled). For example if you only plan to sync to the SD card, make sure that profile is checked, and uncheck the profile for the device's internal memory.
3) If the above results in the SD card being recognized, try auto-syncing and see if the content is correctly moved to the new location

Thanks for all the help in debugging this.

-Rusty
arachnophilia

Post by arachnophilia »

I've deleted the SD card profile, because i figured it might have glitched out somehow. MMW should regenerate the profile when my S5 is connected via USB, but it does not.

it DID generate a profile when i went into the WIFI sync settings, though. i was able to start a WIFI sync with that profile, though it re-synced a few tracks that were already on the device... and made ALL of my album art low res (ignoring the content actually in the tags, which is high res). like, ALL of my album art, for everything in my library, even though i only let it sync a few tracks before stopping it. edit: i'll make a new thread for that one.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Yes, currently the wifi sync is done with artworks with lower resolution. We are working on fix.

But when your SD card was not visible...are you sure that it was enabled in MMW, i.e. that the checkboxes in Options->Portable device sync was enabled (checked) for both device storages?

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/file_ ... 61029d379a
arachnophilia

Post by arachnophilia »

SD card was definitely enabled, until i deleted it in an attempt to get it to automatically generate a new one. the one generated with WIFI does not work for USB.
terryo

Post by terryo »

>>>Rusty wrote:
>>>Can you confirm whether you're doing a USB sync or Wi-Fi sync?

USB3 sync. Wi-Fi is waaay too slow for the large amount of files I move on and off the Note 3 at least once every week.

>>>Can you:
>>>1) Confirm that MediaMonkey for Android shows an active sync profile in Options > Sync Settings > Storage location settings > Sync to this location

The nesting on the Note 3 do not follow the sequence you list. I see: Options > Wi-Fi Sync > Sync Settings followed by two pairs of lines, one for internal storage, one for SD card. There is no Sync Settings directly under Options.

>>> 2) Confirm that In MediaMonkey for Windows, Options > Portable Device Sync has:
>>>- Not more than one sync profile per storage location (normally there should be one profile for the device's internal storage, and a second one for the SD card. If there are duplicates, determine which is the correct profile by comparing which profile has sync settings that match those in MMA, and then delete the duplicates).

There are two for the Card and two for the Phone (and three for each of two thumb drives I use, but they are not giving me any trouble. There are also two for iPod, which I never use and can't delete, iRiver, H2SD and several others)

None of the profiles match the phone. I can't see the "Options > Sync Settings > Storage location settings > Sync to this location" you mention. I am going by the Library Folders in mma which show /Music/ and /Playlists/. In mmw, one profile shows the 'Music' folder checked, the other shows three subfolders in each of two folder labeled 'Music' and 'Video.'

>>>- The appropriate sync profile(s) enabled (and unused profiles disabled). For example if you only plan to sync to the SD card, make sure that profile is checked, and uncheck the profile for the device's internal memory.

I deleted everything I don't use and unchecked the ones I don't and couldn't delete. I deleted the duplicate Phone and Card entries that had six sub folder because I never sync anything but Music. I restarted mmw and it still does not see the card.

>>> 3) If the above results in the SD card being recognized, try auto-syncing and see if the content is correctly moved to the new location

Alas, I am still unable to carry music around with me. I am able to sync to the Phone, but I need the access to the 64GB card memory to use mma for the huge amount of music I work with.

Out of desperation, I deleted all profiles related to the phone and restarted mmw. When I plugged in the Note 3, the Phone profile reappeared, but still no Card. I can see the Card in Windows Explorer and access the Music folder and see everything. I can even play the tunes from the Card through the USB3 in mmw. Weird.

>>>Note: I've tested both on a Samsung Tablet running lollipop and the only issue I've observed is that a new sync profile was created on upgrade to lollipop/MMA 1.1.3, and as a consequence:
>>>- I had to re-enable access in MMW to my device for the new sync profile
>>>- I had to re-sync the content to the new storage location (since prior to 1.1.3 MMA used an App-specific folder rather than /SD Card/Music/ )

Don't understand this part. I didn't try to tinker with the files locations on the Note 3. I can't access the Card in mmw so I didn't see the point of screwing up the music in the folders that are there. I can still play them through the Ratings even though the playlists were sucked into the void.

>>>Thanks for all the help in debugging this.

Don't have a choice. mma and mmw are without peer as far as the features I need to do good radio.

The user-friendliness is not good. Very few of my fellow DJ will touch it because it has a high learning curve. I'm also learning that it requires patience because so many of your injections of new code disable me for periods of time. I've heard heroin is like that... Gotta have it though.
rusty

Re: SD card vanished in mmw for USB Sync

Post by rusty »

OK, failure of MMW to recognized the SD card for USB synchronization is resolved in the newest MMW beta 4.1.10.1766 : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 55#p416353

Please confirm that it works for you.

Thanks.

-Rusty
terryo

Post by terryo »

Card is recognized. 3rd sync is underway. Did two ineffectual syncs before I realized the 'Auto Sync (-->Device)' had been cleared out. Hopefully everything else will go smoothly.

Thanks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Terryo,

Just a heads-up: if the sync profile had been cleared, it means that you probably have a duplicate sync profile. In MMW delete the old one (mainly to prevent confusion), and in the new one, configure MM (either via the MMW sync profile, or via MMA sync settings for your SD card) to delete tracks that aren't on the sync list.

Thanks.

-Rusty
terryo

Post by terryo »

If you're referring to Options > Portable Device Sync, there are no duplicates. If I am looking in the wrong place, please let me know.

The only remaining issue is the same as I wrote in thread [#12919]. If I change the array of checked playlists to sync on either the card or the phone, the next sync wipes out all the playlists. It takes a second sync to bring them back.
rusty

Post by rusty »

arachnophilia,

fyi, the latest beta build of MMW leaves album art resolution for synchronization at the same resolution as the source.

terryo,

we're still working on one remaining USB sync problem--that synchronization of hierarchical playlists over USB can result in the playlists not appearing / being deleted in MMA (the content is synced, but the playlist is removed). The issue is described in detail at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12962 and the workaround for now is to perform a Wi-Fi sync with MMA build 507 subsequent to the USB sync.

Can you:
a) confirm that the problem you're experiencing is in fact occurring with hierarchical playlists (i.e. playlists in which there is a parent playlist or a child playlist)
b) confirm that the workaround works for you?

Thanks.

-Rusty