[SOLVED] Synching problems

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Peregrine

[SOLVED] Synching problems

Post by Peregrine »

Getting so frustrated. Problem after problem after problem. I've deleted music off my phone (Droid Turbo) so many times and tried to redo it. I just don't get why this seems so difficult.
A couple months ago I did it again. Got a good synch.
I come back today because I am getting a new phone. I want to synch my metadata to the laptop. I get prompted to update my paid MM. I do. I start a synch.
I verify --->Device tab has only Metadata checked.
I verify --->Library is unchecked. All greyed out.

I hit synch and walk away. Mistake. I come back a few minutes later and it is synching 2992 tracks. I Terminate.
And yep.... see attached: it is renaming every track and copying it back to the device.

What is going on here?!?!
Peregrine

Re: Synching problems

Post by Peregrine »

Sorry, wrong forum. Can someone move this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMA and MMW? Are you doing a wifi sync and are hoping to get metadata from Android to your PC? If so were the files synced from MMW to MMA in the first place?
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

The latest versions of both products.
As I said in the OP, I was prompted to update by MMW so I did.
Always have the latest version of MMA on my phone.

I don't do WiFi synching at all because that seemed to be very problematic the 6 or 7 other times I've tried it. Always duplication issues. In those cases though it was always the same 3 or 4 tracks that would duplicate. Not a Rename and copy everything.

I just deleted all the music off my phone. Again. I'm going to uninstall everything. Do the uninstall fully thing I found. Uninstall MMA on my phone. Triple check I only have music in one location. Reinstall everything and try one more time.

But I would love to know WHY when everything is set the way I had it, it still started renaming and copying files over. ALL files.
#MindBlown

I'm not your regular clueless user here, either. I'm an IT Support Professional, been in the business for 15 years, been using free MM for YEARS, upgraded for Smart Playlisting...something I've always wanted on my phone and MM is the ONLY one that comes anywhere close to achieving that.
It has been one very frustrating process to try and get this working properly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Likely one copy of tracks hasn't been synced by the same MMW database entry as the other. Either tracks were removed/readded to MMW, the DB was emptied/removed or both copies weren't synced by the same MMW (with same DB).
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Any change to the drive the music is on? New drive or such?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Welcome to the club: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 57#p417157

Whatever changes from Google and/or those introduced by Ventismedia these past few weeks have neutered Android device<>MMW syncing. I really have no faith in MMW USB or wifi sync anymore. Even straight up syncing to the microsd card pulled from my phone is littered with bugs (see post). In my post, I found out that /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files/storageInfo.xml seems to be the culprit in removing entire collections. I'm too fed up and tired from having to resync 8800 songs (a quarter of which I set to be transcoded from FLAC) totaling 54GB again and again.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Thanks everyone for trying. Thanks ThetaWave for posting what you dealt with.
I tried one more time. Full uninstall/reinstall.
Synched to SD card.
Went to the folder you mention, Android Ventis.bla.
Opened on the phone. GOt the prompts I was supposed to get. Thought I did it properly. Nothing.
Looked around a bit more:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... he-sd-card
I certainly don't see OPTIONS > GRANT ACCESS anywhere in my MMA options. Nor VERIFY PERMISSIONS.
Just to see I tried a synch again....it started copying everything to the phone. Again. I was hoping it would say "in synch".
Deleted the XML file. Synch. More files start copying...
At this point I give up. The amount of time I have spent trying to get this to work...done.
Maybe you guys should charge more money? I'd gladly pay $5.00 (on top of GOLD) for the app to have this work right.
Maddening that MMA can't see the files that MMW put on it. But Poweramp has NO problem adding all these files from the Vetnis.com.bla folder to it's library.
There is.....
Omg....
I just went to grab my phone and explain how I am able to get one song to play in MM...and about 25 songs showed up. Probably the ones that synched just now before I could terminate.... wth?!?!?!
Where are THOSE going to???
O.M.G.
I quit. I'm done.
I'll check back in a few weeks.
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Peregrine wrote:Thanks everyone for trying. Thanks ThetaWave for posting what you dealt with.
There is.....
Omg....
I just went to grab my phone and explain how I am able to get one song to play in MM...and about 25 songs showed up. Probably the ones that synched just now before I could terminate.... wth?!?!?!
Where are THOSE going to???
O.M.G.
I quit. I'm done.
I'll check back in a few weeks.
Yup, recently MMA has gone down the tubes. As for the grant access window, you may have correctly granted permissions to your SD card. See if Options > General (Choose Library Folders) > SD Card "+" brings up the SD Card to which you can select. Then try Options > General (Check for new/changed media).

To start fresh, I'd imagine that you have to delete all of the Mediamonkey and ventismedia folders in both internal storage and SD card. Then the grant access menu should pop up on first run or when you select the aforementioned "Choose Library Folders". After setting that up and syncing your media, then try Options > General (Check for new/changed media).

My issue in particular relates to subsequent syncing: after having synced all of my desired media to my device (Phone <USB> MMW), the next sync wipes out my entire collection and then starts copying my media from the beginning (8000+ songs) to either /Android/data/com.ventismedia.blah blah/files/ or the directory/file mask I already had in place. Simply terrible. Right now, I have to take my microSD out of my phone, insert the microSD into my computer, and delete /Android/data/com.ventismedia.blah blah/files/storageInfo.xml for normal syncing behavior.

I have given up hope when it comes to syncing my phone to Mediamonkey Windows (USB MTP or wifi).
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
Danger

Post by Danger »

Not sure if this is related to the issues you are having but one thing I have noticed is that I have to make sure I am using the right device to sync in the Media Tree. I have two options pop up, one for the internal storage and one for the SD card. I thought it would be a good idea to name each one such to make it easier/quicker to sync. I found out the hard way that sometimes they switch. So what I thought was the SD card option to sync was in fact the internal storage. Now for easy identification I just click on one and check the storage capacity to make sure I am using the correct one to sync to the SD card.
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] Synching problems

Post by Peke »

Switching profiles should be solved in latest 1.1.3.535
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts