Volume leveling does not work [#13592]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Volume leveling does not work

Post by Lowlander »

Correct, only an MMW to MMA sync will have MMA be able to do this as MMW directly updates the MMA database with this information.

At this point MMA still relies on Google Media Scanner which is limited in its capabilities.
Aff

Re: Volume leveling does not work

Post by Aff »

Ticket submitted 2 weeks ago, but no feedback yet to my log files. :(
Who else is experiencing the problem, that volume leveling doesn't work?
bakker_be

Re: Volume leveling does not work [#13592]

Post by bakker_be »

Hi there,
this had me stumped until now ... I always thought my tagging was somehow to blame :-)
Looking at the related issues in the bug tracker and especially at the initial implementation (0008911) I'd like to propose an enhancement however: apply "smart gain". It's a notion that's present in Logitech Media Server and seems to me as a more logical way to approach volume levelling. Below the description from the settings page of my LMS

Code: Select all

Some audio tracks contain volume adjustment, or "Replay Gain", information that can be used during playback to make sure that tracks and albums sound equally loud. The player can use this information if it is present. "Track gain" can be used to make sure that all tracks sound equally loud. "Album gain" can be used to make sure that all albums sound equally loud, but that volume differences between tracks within an album are preserved. "Smart" gain selection uses album gain if successive songs are from the same album or track gain for a mixed playlist.
JasonMowry

Post by JasonMowry »

I just downloaded the Android app version 1.3.0.0694 and this issue is still a problem. My noticeable example is play U2's Vertigo (-10.8) back to back with King Crimson's Peace--A Beginning (+20.5) and it is obvious whether volume leveling is working. I've followed all the advice previously presented here: using MediaMonkey for both ends of the auto sync, replay gain settings are correctly configured in MMW and working, volume leveling is on in MMA, ratings changes sync correctly. How is this regressing?
JasonMowry

Post by JasonMowry »

My apologies, it's now clear that some volume leveling is occurring in MMA. However, what is notable in the previous example is that it appears that MMA and MMW take different approaches to how much into the boost territory they are willing to go (i.e. positive volume coefficients). Within MMW, the two tracks I referenced seem remarkably balanced, most likely because MMW is fearless about boosting levels for tracks that were unfortunately mastered way too low. However, in MMA one track is still noticeably quieter than the other, though there is also a much more pronounced difference when volume leveling is turned off. Can MMA be updated to adopt the MMW approach?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jason,

The issue boils down to the fact that reduction in volume levels works the same as MMW, but increasing volume levels is limited by the Android player engine (the issue is summarized at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 957#c45907 ). The solution for eliminating this limitation is to adopt a custom player engine--something that's planned for a future version of MMA.

-Rusty