[Solved] Choose Library Folders keeps resetting [#16149]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

[Solved] Choose Library Folders keeps resetting [#16149]

Post by tbm72 »

I seem to have so many problems syncing MM successfully to my device. Latest issue is that it doesn't remember my folder choices.

For syncing to my phone I want MM to ignore all folders except for my 'music' folder on my SD card so in MMA I go into:

Options>Choose Library Folders

and it currently shows:

Internal Shared Storage (all)
SD card (all)

So I delete both these and add 'music' to the SD card so it now looks like this: https://ibb.co/XbbP0hm

But later (easiest way to replicate is to restart phone) it always seems to get reset back to this: https://ibb.co/T1k8bqh

Why does it keep resetting my folder choice?
Last edited by tbm72 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: Choose Library Folders keeps resetting

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try to create MediaMonkey folder on SDcard and Internal memory?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Yes, there's already a MediaMonkey folder on both the device and SD card but the folders still seem to get randomly reset to root folder for both (it's already happened several times today.)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That behavior is really weird.

It would be great if you can follow these steps:
1) Include "Music" directory (only) in Options>Choose Library Folders
2) Send logs (Write down LOG ID here before Sending)
3) Restart phone
4) Check a list in Options>Choose Library Folders
5) if the list was changed to "SD card (all)" - > Send logs (Write down LOG ID here before Sending)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

OK I've tried numerous things (completely uninstalled/reinstalled MMA, left/rejoined MMA beta program, deleted device profile in MMW etc.) but still keep getting the same problem so I've done as requested.

(Added just 'Music' folder to SD card via Options>Choose Library Folders and removed all folders from internal storage (see screenshot https://ibb.co/cDg7H43)
Log ID: AU1QINCGNH

Restarted phone and both folders (Internal shared storage & SD card) had both been reset to 'All' (see screenshot https://ibb.co/4g36ync)
Log ID: 1KLEE6KQ9L

It's not just restarting the phone that triggers it. Sometimes just leaving it for 10 mins and reopening the app resets the folders.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Completely uninstalled everything, cleared caches and reinstalled MMA several times but it's still constantly resetting my folder choices every day.

Also even though I've specified MM not to sync artwork to the device file folders (by unticking that option in the device profile) every time I plug in the device for a USB transfer it decides to ignore that setting and copy over artwork for every single track again (taking nearly a day to complete).

And then even after many hours of a successful sync, I think that it's finally done and future syncs should only add the newest few tracks on the next sync, but MM decides to spend another half day by resyncing thousands of things again. I can see in the progress bar it says "Copying xxx of 20000 (Tags)" and "Copying xxx of 20000 (Artwork)" even though it's done all this countless times before.

Unless you can suggest anything I might have missed (I've double checked and reinstalled everything many times) I think I might have to give up on MMA and just use the desktop client from now on. The desktop app is perfect but the Android version just seems completely buggy for me.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi,
this is tracked at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16149
We need to improve it in the future to avoid resetting paths without informing a user why it is happening.

It happens because you have on MMW side set paths without subfolders.
Verify it, go to
1)MMW/Tools/Options/Portable Device Sync, find your device and click to "Configure"
OR connect your phone via USB and select device directly
2) go to the Options tab and select "File locations", the default setting should look like for music
\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> $Left(<Artist>,20) - <Title>

and I think your setting look like
\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> $Left(<Artist>,20) - <Title>

so MMA know that you want to sync to the root folder and that's why
MMA local setting which is set to "SdCard/Music" is ignored, because it is a subfolder of Root, which is required for synchronization.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

If you add e.g "\Music\" on the beginning of your paths on MMW side, then you will fix path resetting on MMA side.
tbm72

Re: Choose Library Folders keeps resetting [#16149]

Post by tbm72 »

I already have '\Music\' in the path in MMW:

\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Title>

You can see in this screenshot: https://ibb.co/8xqk1TT

All the other paths are set as '\' to stop MMA creating folders I don't want/need (as discussed in a different thread). Could that be causing the problem?
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Yes, exactly, all of these paths have to be set to some folder to avoid resetting path to root on MMA side.
If you want you can all other paths set to e.g "\Other media\"
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks Martin. Well, I thought I was getting somewhere as now at least it respects and seems to remember my device folder settings. But since then MMW has now created a duplicate of my device profile (with the label "(1)" after the same name).

Not only that but I did a USB sync several times just to make sure it was definitely all up to date, but I then did a wifi sync and got a message telling me it was going to start syncing about 5000 items again (tracks that are already on the device!)

This takes several hours so I've given up for now.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Also don't know what's going on here!

https://ibb.co/YbSFNYb
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

After going backwards and forwards multiple times between wifi and USB syncing, everything finally seems to have settled down and is now in sync correctly!
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

thebluemask wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 am Completely uninstalled everything, cleared caches and reinstalled MMA several times but it's still constantly resetting my folder choices every day.

Also even though I've specified MM not to sync artwork to the device file folders (by unticking that option in the device profile) every time I plug in the device for a USB transfer it decides to ignore that setting and copy over artwork for every single track again (taking nearly a day to complete).

And then even after many hours of a successful sync, I think that it's finally done and future syncs should only add the newest few tracks on the next sync, but MM decides to spend another half day by resyncing thousands of things again. I can see in the progress bar it says "Copying xxx of 20000 (Tags)" and "Copying xxx of 20000 (Artwork)" even though it's done all this countless times before.

Unless you can suggest anything I might have missed (I've double checked and reinstalled everything many times) I think I might have to give up on MMA and just use the desktop client from now on. The desktop app is perfect but the Android version just seems completely buggy for me.
I don't know if my problem has the same source as stated above, but when I sync MMW with MMA on my android phone, it looks like MMA takes Artwork from the newly added music and randomly overwrites/erases many current Artwork of many existing songs on my phone, messing up the MMA Artwork completely!

This while the Artwork of that same existing songs on MMW stay the same, as they should. Which makes me think the problem lies in MMA OR some settings in MMW aren't setup correctly.

The option under:

Options --> Portable device sync --> Sync all Artwork to file folders

is enabled and currently:

\MediaMonkey\Album_art\<Album>.jpg

I don't know if that is also causing the problem or not but this is REALLY annoying, right now after synchronizing, I have to erase all the wrong Artwork on MMA, ONE BY ONE, so that MMA can look for the right Artwork once the song starts playing.
Lowlander

Re: [Solved] Choose Library Folders keeps resetting [#16149]

Post by Lowlander »

Are you having Albums with the same name? As you're using the Mask for <Album> for the filename all Albums like Greatest Hits would overwrite each other.