Sorting By Artists' Last Name

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

Sorting By Artists' Last Name

Post by dypsis »

How do I get MM8/RT Metro to sort by the artists last name rather than their first name?

I am pretty sure that the standard way to sort is by their last name.

In fact, it is hard to find anything with this app. I thought progress was meant to make things easier, but this app is damn hard to find what I am looking for and it makes my eyes boggle. Too much on the screen.

Back to the Desktop version for me.
MichaelSargent

Re: Sorting By Artists' Last Name

Post by MichaelSargent »

dypsis wrote:I am pretty sure that the standard way to sort is by their last name.
That's clearly a matter of personal preference. I prefer to sort by full name (first, last). I think of the artist as Bruce Springsteen, not Springsteen Bruce and want him sorted in the B's. I'm sure many others will feel the same way, so it must be left as a choice for the user.

Mike
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dypsis wrote:How do I get MM8/RT Metro to sort by the artists last name rather than their first name?

In fact, it is hard to find anything with this app. I thought progress was meant to make things easier, but this app is damn hard to find what I am looking for and it makes my eyes boggle. Too much on the screen.

The desktop version doesn't do any sorting by last name either, so I'm not sure why you expected that feature to be available.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

MichaelSargent wrote:
dypsis wrote:I am pretty sure that the standard way to sort is by their last name.
That's clearly a matter of personal preference. I prefer to sort by full name (first, last). I think of the artist as Bruce Springsteen, not Springsteen Bruce and want him sorted in the B's. I'm sure many others will feel the same way, so it must be left as a choice for the user.

Mike
Exactly. That's why we should have a choice.

And by the way. Any record store that I have ever been into have stored Bruce Springsteen under 'S'. So, it's not as unusual as you may think.
Last edited by dypsis on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

nohitter151 wrote:
dypsis wrote:How do I get MM8/RT Metro to sort by the artists last name rather than their first name?

The desktop version doesn't do any sorting by last name either, so I'm not sure why you expected that feature to be available.
Because the modern app is so very limited in browsing for music as opposed to the desktop version. As I said, the screen is cluttered and boggles my eyes.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Personally i don't think it can be done automatically. For example you need Bruce Springsteen to be sorted by S but how Ugly Kid Joe should be sorted? I am using different format in desktop (and in metro version as well) - Springsteen, Bruce. This way artists are always sorted as i prefer.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

PetrCBR wrote:Personally i don't think it can be done automatically. For example you need Bruce Springsteen to be sorted by S but how Ugly Kid Joe should be sorted? I am using different format in desktop (and in metro version as well) - Springsteen, Bruce. This way artists are always sorted as i prefer.
I see your point.

I am just finding it very difficult to find stuff in a large library with the modern app.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

I see, but it's same as in desktop version. How do you using your library on desktop ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can't auto-sort on Last Name as it wouldn't know if you're dealing with a Band or a persons name. Also many Artist (especially foreign) will have more than 2 names (multiple names and/or multiple last names). However for MMW there is a request which follows the standards to resolve this that requires tagging by the user with fields like ARTISTSORT: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=2915