Trouble Syncing Windows 8.1 App On Surface Pro 3

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

jczelust

Trouble Syncing Windows 8.1 App On Surface Pro 3

Post by jczelust »

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

I just bought a new Surface Pro 3 and I am trying to sync the metro app with my main Windows computer. The Surface will not find the Sync Server. "No Server" found.

Here is some pertinent information:

1) I turned off the Firewall on both devices.

2) I have 2 Android devices which sync absolutely fine and find the server with no problem. But they have been syncing for a long while.

3) While my Surface can not find the sync server on my computer, Media Monkey on my computer does recognize the Surface device as a Media Server.

How can I fix this? I just want to sync from my main to the metro app on my Surface.
Lowlander

Re: Trouble Syncing Windows 8.1 App On Surface Pro 3

Post by Lowlander »

Does UPnP in MM8 find the MMW server? Have you checked in the MMW server if the MM8 device is disabled?
jczelust

Post by jczelust »

UPnP in MM8 does not find the server. When I look for the device I can't even find MM8 on the list of devices to sync. I do however go to the server (library) under Media Sharing and WifiSync and see two Microsoft Windows Devices labeled 6.2 with one listed with an 'Unknown MAC Address' but it doesn't show explicitly "Surface" and of course my Surface is not seeing the server (library) at all. Any thoughts?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are both those devices enabled in Media Sharing?

Also is the device (MM8) itself on the same network as MMW as this is required for DLNA (which is what wifi sync uses) to discover servers.
jczelust

Post by jczelust »

Yes. Both of those devices are enabled under the LIbrary UPnP sharing. And the Server and Surface are on the same network because MediaMonkey does recognize the Surface as a Media Server itself. Under Media Servers Tree on the left hand side of the screen it shows the Surface as a Media Server along with my DirectTV (those are the onlytwo options) but the Surface cannot see Media Monkey to sync with MMW.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 is an early beta product without troubleshooting capabilities. You could capture a log (step 4b) in MMW while trying to connect to it from MM8, but it may not help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=22&t=69
jczelust

Post by jczelust »

Update: If I look at my network on my Surface (not in MM8 but just in the computer) I can see under Media Devices on the network Media Monkey Library. However when I click this it brings up a web page where it looks as though there is a connection problem saying: "Make sure the web address http://0.0.0.0 is correct" but clearly I am on the same wifi cuz the computers can see each other. I can also get online no issues.

Any other ideas?
jczelust

Post by jczelust »

I was also just able to connect to the Media Monkey Library from the Surface using Windows Media Player. So odd.
jczelust

Post by jczelust »

Ok. I figured it out! Finally! After seeing MediaMonkey Library on the Surface. I right clicked and up came Media Sharing for Windows. So evidentially it is not enough for two Windows machines to be on the same network, you have to enable to "Media Sharing" between them. My surface is now syncing with my computer through the Media Monkey Metro app. All I had to do was enable sharing. The device then picked up Media Monkey.