MMA WiFi sync setup

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

bkenobi69

MMA WiFi sync setup

Post by bkenobi69 »

I had everything set up with MMA and MMW including WiFi sync. I lost the motherboard on my main PC (Win7) where MMW was running, so I'm migrating the setup to my file server (WinXP). I have MMW restored so the database is all correct, but I'm having an issue with setting up WiFi sync. Is there a difference between WinXP and Win7 that I'm not thinking of? I figured things would be set up out of the box since I copied the files from the old machine to the new one.

I've tried the steps on:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nt-working

But, at step 2, I can't see the the MMW server.

Droid4 ICS
MMA Pro 1.0.6.0285

Windows XP SP3
MMW 4.1.3.1708
Last edited by bkenobi69 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Re: MMA WiFi sync setup

Post by Lowlander »

The Firewall may be blocking the MMW Media Server, you may no have enabled a Media Server (Tools > Options > Media Sharing) in MMW or MMA and MMW aren't on the same network.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Firewall was something I considered, but Windows never asked be about adding an exception so I'm not sure how to manually add it. I just set up MMW on the Win7 laptop and it works fine. It did ask about an exception in the firewall, so I bet that's the issue.

I just added an exception to the Windows Firewall (local network only) and it now shows up in the DLNA list from MMA. Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on the Firewall used. Best to do an online search with your firewall program included in the search terms.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

DLNA works, but WiFi fails. It says I need to accept the first connection, but doesn't pop up the dialog. I'll try the WiFi help document again to see if I missed anything.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) that wifi sync is allowed.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

"Grant remote sync / accesss rights to the MediaMonkey Library" is checked. I tried the same thing on the Win7 machine and it worked correctly. I also noticed that if I have MMW running on both machines and share both libraries, MMA only lists one of them (apparently the one it already knew about).
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I have no idea what I did, but it seems to be working with the WinXP machine now. I enabled/disabled things in both XP and Win7 several times as well as switching MMA sync servers a few times. For some reason, it is currently syncing to the correct server now. I suspect there must have been something that was messed up from copying the settings from the old machine.

Unless it breaks again, I guess this is resolved. Thanks!
bkenobi69

MMA WiFi sync problems

Post by bkenobi69 »

I started a thread in the MMA help section, but I'm now convinced this is a bug. I have my phone set up so that it should sync with MMW on a WinXP file server (headless, but that probably doesn't matter). I used to have it connect to a Win7 machine located right next to the file server and it worked fine. Now that it's on the XP system, I'm having connectivity issues. It appears that MMA loses it's mind and can't connect for some reason. Here's what I've found:

With MMW running on WinXP as a service, MMA seems to locate and try to connect but fails (says it needs me to confirm on first connect). I open MMW normally (so service should be stopped) and MMA still can't connect. I uninstall the service and I still cannot connect. I kill MMA and relaunch and still nothing. I Close MMW, wait a bit, and relaunch. I try to connect with MMA and it does see MMW and now it works. Installed the service and with MMW still running, I can still sync. I close MMW and sync with MMA and it starts right up. BUT, I did this before and it worked fine. So, why does it have issues after a while?

Since it's currently working, I suspect the MMA logs where it didn't work are gone. When it fails again, I'll upload logs and post to this thread. Since everything was set up yesterday and working but broken by this morning, I'd guess it will be tomorrow when I have some new information.

Droid4 ICS
MMA Pro 1.0.6.0285

Windows XP SP3
MMW 4.1.3.1708

The other thread is here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=77027
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Lowlander

Re: MMA WiFi sync setup (moved to bug reports)

Post by Lowlander »

When wifi sync fails can you still see the MMW server through UPnP on MMA? Do you have any other media servers on the network and if so can MMA still see them? Do you have any other clients on the network and if so can they see the MMW server?

No knowing your answers yet, I presume the problem lies with MMW and more precisely with the service. You may want to capture things in a debug log (not sure if the service logs anything) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=26&t=4b You could always add a debug log from MMA after sync failure (from About screen), but it likely is a pure MMW issue.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I spoke too soon. As soon as I tried to sync a second time, I got errors. Even though I only have the external storage set to sync, when I hit sync again it tried to sync both internal and external. It then popped the message "completed with errors"/"synchronization refused by remote server. verify that wifi sync is enabled on the remote server."

So, for whatever reason it's not working again. I uploaded logs once but lost the ID so I did it a second time.

Log ID: WIRJ36560Q
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I tried a UPnP connection to MMW and it fails. I have several others listed, but I've never been able to connect to and get anything from them from MMA (nothing shared or no audio files). I fired up MMW on my laptop which points to the same files/database as the server, but MMA doesn't list it. I stopped the service and MMA still doesn't seem to locate the other system (only 1 MMW connection allowed perhaps?). I shut down the service on XP and the MM library then showed up and was browseable from the laptop. I tried to navigate to the audio tracks, but it gave a "connection failed!" after drilling down a couple folders (music/all files). I then tried drilling a different way (music/artists/A/ACDC/Hells Bells/Back in Black) and that played. Is there a timeout that "all tracks" is exceeding?

Either way, I can access tracks from the laptop MMW which is the same media/database/ini files.

So, after playing the song for a bit, I stopped it and went back to the UPnP menu and found the file server listed again (though it was not enabled) and the win7 laptop NOT listed (I doubled checked, and I did not turn on the server's MMW by accident). The connection failed (as it should since it's not there). MMA seems to be remembering servers that it shouldn't.

MMA debug log:
5HXI6W80C8

Debugview is only showing a single item when I try to connect via UPnP with the service running on XP:

Code: Select all

[644] UPnP Server: OnAction: Browse 
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I just tried connecting to MMW on Win7 and the debugview dumps a lot more information to the screen and MMA shows a directory structure rather than an error. If I try even with MMW on WinXP, I only see the first line until it errors out. I closed MMW and tried again with the same results. I then closed MMW and restarted the phone. This time, I'm getting a much longer list in the debugview window and a full list in MMA. To test, I tried to play the same AC/DC track and it works correctly.

Just for kicks, I tried syncing since UPnP was working correctly and I am able to connect and sync. I'm not all that familiar with UPnP, but the 3 tracks that were played had their play counts changed and for some reason MMA decided it needed to redownload them. That's a different issue I'm not looking at right now though.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My assumption is that the problems lie with MMW as service, not MMA and not even MMW itself. I'm not certain how one can debug this. You may want to contact support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit to have a developer look at this.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I submitted a ticket on July 6 but never heard anything back. I just checked, and it looks like it's still unassigned. Although it's probably not the right approach, I bumped the priority from LOW to MEDIUM just to see if it would be noticed. Any other ideas of what I can do?

Ticket: NKY-943-38003