Volume low on MM bluetooth

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

stardaddyed

Volume low on MM bluetooth

Post by stardaddyed »

I have used MM for years but I have noticed lately that my volume is very low. I have to turn my cars volume to max to barely hear it. If I switch to another app it is normal. I have the volume leveling turned off and do not use the equalizer as this makes it worse.

Any suggestions?

Star
Lowlander

Re: Volume low on MM bluetooth

Post by Lowlander »

Did you enable Volume Leveling in the MMA Options?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Another possibility: try disabling the equalizer.

-Rusty
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

I actually have the same issue, plus more.

Via Bluetooth or USB, using MMA as my playback device the volume is between 1/2 to 2/3 lower than it should be.

The head unit in my car supports streaming via USB and Bluetooth, has Android Auto and two USB ports. I have MMA EQ off and have volume level on.

(something just dawned on me, perhaps the devices that we are trying to stream to either do not support volume leveling, or if they do, Mediamonkey or Kenwood (in my case) are using the data improperly.)

I use volume leveling in MMW, and since the day it came out, I use it in MMA and for the most part it's seemed to work fine. I sync wirelessly and use conversion and "level voulme when synciong audio"

I fire up the horseless carriage and set its radio volume to 50 let's say, and it can go as high as 101. At 50, the volume is pretty much perfect for all functions. However, when I try to use MMA as my music player, I have to turn the car radio volume up to anywhere from 80 to 101. The scenario is identical whether I send the data to the head unit via USB or BT.

Odd thing is... if I take my card out of the phone, insert it into a USB adapter and then use the factory player to play the music that was too quiet, the volume is spot on again.
rusty

Post by rusty »

In order to test this out properly (e.g. vs the default Android audio player) you need to disable Volume Leveling in MMA. The reason for this is that most contemporary tracks have a negative volume leveling value and that would result in the perception that MMA's volume is lower than other players.

Can you confirm whether MMA volume is lower than the default player's volume if volume leveling is disabled?

-Rusty
Peke

Post by Peke »

Strangly but only now I thought I was able to replicate your issue. Unfortunately I've found that BT output volume was separated from normal Car HU volume and in order to get same levels I needed to ensure that MMA Volume when BT is connected is on MAX and then when I select BT Music on HU I also need to correct BT Pre-Gain volume
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

rusty wrote:In order to test this out properly (e.g. vs the default Android audio player) you need to disable Volume Leveling in MMA. The reason for this is that most contemporary tracks have a negative volume leveling value and that would result in the perception that MMA's volume is lower than other players.

Can you confirm whether MMA volume is lower than the default player's volume if volume leveling is disabled?

-Rusty
That is enabled... But question. If I disable it, what happens to track to track volume? Am I at the mercy of the physical volume knob now?
rusty

Post by rusty »

If you disable volume leveling in MMA then _yes_ you'll have to adjust volume manually. But that's not what I meant to propose. I was just suggesting:

- Disable volume leveling in MMA
- Play tracks A,B,C in MMA and then play tracks A,B,C in Google Music (both over bluetooth) and verify whether MMA volume is reduced in comparison.
If you find that tracks A,B,C play lower in MMA, it would seem to imply that there's a Bluetooth/Volume issue. If not, then it's likely that the reduced volume was caused by Volume Leveling (as intended).
- Re-enable volume leveling in MMA

Let us know...

Thanks.

-Rusty
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

In the end, it was volume leveling. I was using the default, and "industry standard" 89. Bumped it up to 93, and now audio from MMA pretty much matches the same volume of YouTube, Amazon Music, etc.