Setup questions and advice

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

pushpull

Setup questions and advice

Post by pushpull »

I will be heading out for a long road trip and I need a way to play my music library. My old Iaudio X5 is having issues and my library has grown by a factor of 40 compared to the capacity of the unit. As an attempt at a resolution to this, I have purchased a Cisco Linksys E4200 router at a thrift store with a USB port. I have an inverter that I can use to power it. Next, I have an external drive that I copied my library to connected to the router and have set it up as a media server. The plan is to set it up as a WIFI hotspot in my vehicle that an old phone can connect to. As a note, all my music is flac.

I have installed on the phone (a moto x), MMA. I also installed ES File Explorer File Manager. I can browse the hard drive with ES. I can select a song through ES and I get a pop-up menu that will let me choose to play that song in MMA. If I try to select a folder for an album though, the only selection I get is to play that album folder with the ES player. There is no MMA choice. Now, I have tried the UPnP/DLNA feature of MMA. It will recognize the hard drive, and I can play songs via MMA. However, it takes a while for the contents of the library to show up in MMA, and it seems that it never completes the library scan before there becomes a problem with the connection. I am assuming that this is because of the 30-minute trial period, though I haven’t timed that out to see if that is so.
The other issue is that I am not seeing any folder art or any file details other than the file name of the song. I am sure that there is no leveling tagging either. I am assuming this is an issue with not being synced with a MM database.

So, I guess my questions are:
1.) Will the paid UPnP/DLNA feature work the way I am trying to use it? (This includes being able to use DJ mode or set up a playlist, so I don’t have to choose a song every few minutes.)
2.) How do I get the songs to display the tag info and display the album art?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Setup questions and advice

Post by Lowlander »

1) For DLNA I suggest you have the Playlists already created on the Media Server. Then use those to play in MMA.
2) This depends on the DLNA Server. It needs to provide this information for the Client to see it. It works fine when using MMA with the MMW DLNA Server.
pushpull

Re: Setup questions and advice

Post by pushpull »

Thanks Lowlander. Haven't had the chance to get back to this.