Conflict with SD card and internal storage

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

ExitFlagger1

Conflict with SD card and internal storage

Post by ExitFlagger1 »

Moto Z2 Play running Android 8.0.0. I have a 256GB Lexar SD card for the purpose of storing music to play on my MediaMonkey app (pretty much entirely filled). Repeatedly, I start getting messages when I try to take photos that I'm running out of internal storage, my ringtone disappears, and I'm unable to access internal storage in any kind of File Manager app, nor am I able to save anything to the device. This goes away if I remove the SD card, but that results in me having to reset MediaMonkey and re-sync everything (a multi-day process, usually). But a few days or weeks later, and it starts again. (This also has occurred with two different SD cards, albeit the same exact kind.)

I've chatted with Verizon support on this numerous times, and they've actually replaced my phone multiple times after factory resets, et al didn't solve the issue. Is this an issue with the SD card, with MediaMonkey, or with the phone, and is there a permanent fix? This problem happens (eventually) whether I sync over Wi-Fi or cable.

The SD card is a Lexar Media 256GB High Performance microSDXC Class 10/UHS-3/633x Flash Memory Card with USB 3.0 Adapter, if that helps any. Running MMW 4.1.23.1881.
Lowlander

Re: Conflict with SD card and internal storage

Post by Lowlander »

Does MediaMonkey sync to or use any files on the internal memory? It sounds like you'll need to find what is filling up the internal memory in the first place.
ExitFlagger1

Post by ExitFlagger1 »

If MediaMonkey is writing anything to internal memory (besides the app itself) it shouldn't be.

I have about 15 GB of internal storage remaining, about half capacity. Plenty of room to take a picture.

Everything works in Safe Mode, so there's some 3rd-party app causing the problem, evidently.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not sure about Z2, but on many phones I had Camera app have setting to tell it where to save pictures/videos. It is very possible that Default setting is SDCard which is full and as Safe mode restricts few things it is very possible that Default is Internal Storage.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ExitFlagger1

Post by ExitFlagger1 »

There's more to it than the camera, though. As mentioned, the File Manager apps can't access anything on internal storage either.

Motorola had me delete some apps--after we tested the camera in Safe Mode and it worked--and I got everything up and running again after another reboot. I got a little delete-happy and had to reboot the phone, so I don't know what specifically the conflict was. But it was working fine for a few days and then literally just a few hours ago I tested it again and the problem recurred--this happened after I was at the movies and turned my phone off. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I rebooted the phone again and it seems to be working, but MMA has to re-scan all the tracks to the library again. We'll see if it still works after that completes.