Large amount of duplicate songs on my new phone (solved)

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Sciz

Large amount of duplicate songs on my new phone (solved)

Post by Sciz »

Hi,

I have been using MMA for several years now without many problems (only issue being loading of artwork for some albums but not a huge deal). I just got a new phone a week ago, a OnePlus, and I transferred all my music onto it from my PC, around 120 gb (my phone has a 256gb memory). I transfer it by just copying the contents of my music directory from my pc to my phone, same as I have done with previous android phones without issues. I do not sync with mediamonkey or similar as I use MusicBee for my PC.

Anyways, I just noticed that many of my albums have duplicates of every track. Not every album, probably not even half, but i'd say about a third of all albums. It seems totally random which albums have duplicates or not, sometimes all albums from a specific artist, sometimes just one. If there's a duplicate track in an album it's always the entire album duplicated, never just one or two tracks in an album. This has never before happened on my previous devices, a huawei honor and a google pixel. I have the latest versions of mediamonkey and mediamonkey pro. I have tried clearing the memory and cache for both apps, uninstalling them, deleting anything related to mediamonkey on the phone and reinstalling, but when mediamonkey starts checking for media I end up with the same albums having duplicates again. The duplicates all work as well, they aren't greyed out or anything like other people have had issues with. I have seen this problem crop up with some people online throughout the years but haven't found any solution that works for me yet. When my MediaMonkey searches to find all my music it takes ages because I have like 120gb of music, but I had close to that on my old phones and never had any issues.

Also, a few times while scanning files and I click back into mediamonkey i get a popup that says something like "repairing database" that is up for a few seconds before disappearing. Can that have anything to do with it? I have not seen that popup before on previous phones.

Thanks a lot for any help! I want to continue using this app because all the alternatives I have tried are awful but I don't want to go manually through hundreds of albums to delete duplicates, and even if I did there's a possibility they would all reappear next time I add music to my phone anyways.
Last edited by Sciz on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: Large amount of duplicate songs on my new phone

Post by Peke »

Hmmm,
That repairing database you see looks lots of like system manager/optimizer killed MMA background scanner process to lower power consumption. Can you check App permissions (usually in APP Info) and allow MMA to run in background uninterrupted. I suspect that Repair Database somehow add duplicates.

Also, have you compared paths to duplicates and can you Send Us debug Logs after you open properties of each duplicate (take one file example and open properties of each one before you send debug log).

To send debug Log use ... -> About MediaMonkey -> Send Logs and just before sending write down here LOG IDs so that we know why they are received and what to look inside them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Sciz

Re: Large amount of duplicate songs on my new phone

Post by Sciz »

Hi,

thank you a lot for your reply! Doing the thing in app permissions totally worked, no duplicates anymore. Thanks again!