New MP3 eating trojan: W32.Deletemusic

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

MCSmarties

New MP3 eating trojan: W32.Deletemusic

Post by MCSmarties »

Story is here.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one on this forum for whom such an attack would be an absolute horror scenario!!

Backup, backup, backup people. On EXTERNAL media.
And then backup some more...
Hoso001

Post by Hoso001 »

Ouch That sucks :o

Glad I have all my music encoded in Ogg :lol:
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Hoso001 wrote:Glad I have all my music encoded in Ogg :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

I have my music encoded as .ogg too. However I have also turned off 'autorun' for all drives and device types (pretty easy if you download the MS Powertoy 'TweakUIXP' from Microsoft's website).

If I want something run, I'll run it myself, thanks. That includes dodgy music CDs which want to install special 'copyproof' players, or rootkits.
greenwoodmonkey

Post by greenwoodmonkey »

Guys believe me, you don't need a virus for this to be a horror scenario...

A few years ago now I sagely decided to manage my entire music collection was to burn all my CD's to MP3 then carry the lot around on a portable HDD.

I spent weeks ripping over 400 albums, while downloading many more before finally standing back to bask in the glory that was my collection...

Skip forward a few months... and I am packing all my worldly goods away having decided that England is no longer for me and what I need is a new start in a new country...

I sell as much as possible (yes, including my ENTIRE CD collection!) and throw the rest and a few days before I am set to set sail for my new life in sunny climes then....... little did I realise that not actually owning the CD's anymore would be a problem, I had paid for then (most anyway ;) ) so what was I doing wrong.. so the big hairy ar$e that is The Karma Monkey (see wiki for photo LOL) bites me.... and smashes my HDD to the floor just out of spite...

Gone...

Forever... well, until I fork out vasts amounts of money to pay someone to TRY and retrieve it all...

So yes guys, the moral to the story is BACK UP. And when you have backed up, back that up.

And keep it legal..... or the Moral Karma Monkey will bite you too!!!

Well, thne
Greenwoodmonkey - Working out right from wrong and having fun trying :D
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Umm???

which back up do i do today?

the back up of the backup or the BackUP of the backup backup, or do i make a new backup backup of the backup?

otherwords.
how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood ?
a woodchuck would chuck what a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

:roll: :P :lol: :P :P
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Son of Spam

Post by Son of Spam »

greenwoodmonkey wrote:And keep it legal..... or the Moral Karma Monkey will bite you too!!!

Define "legal".

No, seriously. I'm having trouble understanding what you meant by that in regards to backing up.
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.
judas

Post by judas »

Better be safe than sorry...thanks MC Smarties!
Cheers, judas
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

I have a full backup, primary data store, and partial backup.

Full backup is a 500gig extermal drive, primary is the 250gig internal drive, and partial is the 60gig ipod that just doensn't want to handle 200 gigs... it seems to belive its full at 60gigs.. the nerve of the little bugger! doesn't it know i can crush it under my boot!!!?