Page 1 of 1

MMWiki vs Online Script Help

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 pm
by MoDementia
Is this page capable of producing this page?

I would like to start adding to the wiki pages (scripting information) but the wiki layout is a poor cousin of the script help file.

If not I would prefer to work on the script help file rather than the wiki, is this possible?

I started this process a while back but it lost momentum, with the MMWiki I was hoping to resurect it :)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:41 am
by Steegy
Is this page capable of producing this page?
If someone writes a wiki bot for that, sure it would be possible.
For me ideally, the "online scripting help" would have a tree view on the left side (with objects and fields), and the wiki pages on the right (just like the web help but then with editable pages). That way no-one should have to compile a weekly help-file; all would be "online".
Maybe there are already solutions to do this though the MediaWiki system, or maybe other free/open solutions exist for that.


A page like this, I find much more confusing than the standard wiki/help pages, however it clearly contains more information.

Here's something I just tried:
Image
Or a live sample on the Wiki Sandbox (looks less nice though).

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:05 am
by MoDementia
Maybe I should have rephrased that question to

Is it possible to have an expandable tree like the web help file in wiki?
Steegy wrote:For me ideally, the "online scripting help" would have a tree view on the left side (with objects and fields), and the wiki pages on the right (just like the web help but then with editable pages)
I think I was asking for the same thing. :)

I did alot of searching today/night and couldn't find any examples of
1. Using frames in wiki
2 Using java navigation trees

Your examples look pretty good (and what I am trying to achieve with the other example) but already you have 2 versions that may not be usable as general "Templates"

I just finished a template version of the first example (bloody hell it was hard) but I will work on it some more tomorrow and try and incorporate what you have suggested. It's the same information just that the headings are a little vaguer so they can be used more generally but look standard.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:06 pm
by MoDementia
Had a closer look at your post and comparing the original with yours there isnt a lot of difference except in naming

Code: Select all

Scripting Object    Script Object
Value Name          Object Field
Value Type          Type Returned
Database Table      Table
Field Name          Table Field
Tracklist Column    Column Header

                    Example Data
                    Field Format
                    Hierarchy

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 am
by Steegy
and more importantly the layout (your latest layout is much improved).

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:18 am
by MoDementia
Bah you weren't suposed to see it till I worked how to get rid of the extra lines from null passed parameters :P

But I'm glad you like it better :)

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:11 pm
by MoDementia
Release Candidate 1

Two Examples of how the template will look Given the correct parameters :)

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:35 pm
by Steegy
In your 2nd example, shouldn't Value Type have SDBAlbum instead of Object? (then you don't need Members either).

SDBAlbum is indeed an Object, but String can also be an Object (in object oriented languages, which MediaMonkey is written in, but scripting is not). So saying that something is an Object doesn't give much information (if you're looking for less parameters, then you can remove this one).

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm
by MoDementia
It is based on what I remember when I started scripting.
Determining what I could do with it once I read it eg

Number + Number = Number

SDB.MessageBox "String = '" & String & "'", mtError, Array(mbOK)

String = objSongData.Object.Member

If it returns a Number or a String I can use it directly
If it is an Object it requires further manipulation i.e. with a member or a for..next etc.

The members row is off the Value Name parameter so it isn't an additional one :)

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 pm
by rovingcowboy
MoDementia wrote:It is based on what I remember when I started scripting.
Determining what I could do with it once I read it eg

Number + Number = Number

SDB.MessageBox "String = '" & String & "'", mtError, Array(mbOK)

String = objSongData.Object.Member

If it returns a Number or a String I can use it directly
If it is an Object it requires further manipulation i.e. with a member or a for..next etc.

The members row is off the Value Name parameter so it isn't an additional one :)

i been meaning to ask you? but what the sam hill is going on? you done confounded and confiddled me as much with this stuff you put here and in the wiki, as i did with you with the skinning.? we're even now right cause i have no idea what this stuff is for? :o :-?


:-?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 am
by MoDementia
rovingcowboy wrote: i been meaning to ask you? but what the sam hill is going on? you done confounded and confiddled me as much with this stuff you put here and in the wiki, as i did with you with the skinning.? we're even now right cause i have no idea what this stuff is for? :o :-?


:-?
If you can answer this question correctly I'll fill you in :P

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:49 am
by rovingcowboy
MoDementia wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote: i been meaning to ask you? but what the sam hill is going on? you done confounded and confiddled me as much with this stuff you put here and in the wiki, as i did with you with the skinning.? we're even now right cause i have no idea what this stuff is for? :o :-?


:-?
If you can answer this question correctly I'll fill you in :P

i don't need to know then if you want to play 64 million dollar questions.


but there is no question there to answer bex already answered them for you.