MediaMonkey on Download.com

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

MediaMonkey on Download.com

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Guess who's on the download.com home page today? If you haven't posted a review yet, please take a minute to do so.

-Rusty
nohitter151

Re: MediaMonkey on Download.com

Post by nohitter151 »

Nice :D
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Congratulation,
You deserve it!
:D
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
SerialK

Post by SerialK »

:D :D Great! Hope MM keeps up the good work!
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

I think this is well deserved as well but it did trouble me somewhat

3 million downloads yet the most viewed current script is only 196809 given that it has 684 posts the download rate is significantly lower

the highest views per skin is 74445 with 265 posts

So the question is why people are not taking advantage of these addons which we all agree make MM a cut above the rest?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

MoDementia wrote:So the question is why people are not taking advantage of these addons which we all agree make MM a cut above the rest?
I suppose this question is rhetorical since we all know the answer to it, right? Simply said, MM developers are ignorant to its addons, especially to the scripts. They are not aware how much MM would gain in popularity if they have better organized their Web site in regard to scripts. There are many independent reviews of similar programs where reviewers state how MM is better of competitions exactly because it has such good support of scripters. Unfortunately, MM developers don't like such fact for some reason unknown to me.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

ZvezdanD wrote:Simply said, MM developers are ignorant to its addons, especially to the scripts. They are not aware how much MM would gain in popularity if they have better organized their Web site in regard to scripts.
I guess that's why they haven't been working on a Addon/Script Database, right?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

MoDementia wrote:I think this is well deserved as well but it did trouble me somewhat

3 million downloads yet the most viewed current script is only 196809 given that it has 684 posts the download rate is significantly lower

the highest views per skin is 74445 with 265 posts

So the question is why people are not taking advantage of these addons which we all agree make MM a cut above the rest?
Here is something that will come as a shock to you..... There are many users who simply want to use MM as a "player", they could care less about tagging and organization, so for them the plain Jane MM is just fine. Of course you know I am not one of those people, so with that said:

While I would like a repository that will allow for the easier location of scripts and skins, I do not want to be forced to an option that would make me update to the latest and greatest version without my intervention.

Ok, getting off of my soapbox and going back to work.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You would need to know the statistics for other media players to be able to draw a conclusion. Besides Trixmoto has his own site people might visit directly and some other scripters also have their own sites that allow direct access. On the other hand the view number on the forum doesn't translate to downloads, I would assume downloads might be as low as 10% of the view number (don't forget that you also have a lot of upgraders for active scripts limiting even further the amount of people that have a particular script installed).

And as Mizery_Made said, a script/skin solution is been worked on by the developers. I hope they're able to create something similar to Firefox add-ons as that makes updating scripts a breeze.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Mizery_Made wrote:I guess that's why they haven't been working on a Addon/Script Database, right?
Sorry, but I don't know what you want to say. Are you ironic or what? Where is that Addon/Script database? They have added script support in code for several years and since begin there are many scripts, but they don't think that they should better organize this. All you get from its site is an information "go and visit Scripting forum". This is not very serious if you ask me. Winamp had a very good support for third party plugins, skins... almost from the same begin and just take a look how this had an impact on its popularity.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote: Sorry, but I don't know what you want to say. Are you ironic or what? Where is that Addon/Script database? They have added script support in code for several years and since begin there are many scripts, but they don't think that they should better organize this. All you get from its site is an information "go and visit Scripting forum". This is not very serious if you ask me. Winamp had a very good support for third party plugins, skins... almost from the same begin and just take a look how this had an impact on its popularity.
Well when the devs get the repository up and running I hope they do not use Winamp as an example to follow. That is the most user-unfriendly webiste I have been to, it is not easy to find plugins on that website.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:Here is something that will come as a shock to you..... There are many users who simply want to use MM as a "player", they could care less about tagging and organization
Sorry, but from where have you got that information? Is there some pool or some kind of statistics or something similar? I'd like to see it.

In my opinion MM is the best tool for organizing audio files. However, there are at least 5 better Windows media players and of course, I am not using MM as a player. There are better converters, there are better Audio CD rippers, there are better CD burners... The biggest problem with MM is because it is trying to be like WMP or iTunes - i.e. to have everything. Well, I prefer specialized applications with only one or two purposes.
nynaevelan wrote:Well when the devs get the repository up and running I hope they do not use Winamp as an example to follow. That is the most user-unfriendly webiste I have been to, it is not easy to find plugins on that website.
Well, this "when" should be really in different color. I know many things they are promised for long time ago. Maybe Winamp site is not the best example of good organization, but even such is much better than information "visit Scripting forum".
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Mantis - Prepare MM for Addons Website

There's clearly something in the works, and if I were to take a guess, it's not too far off. I would be willing to bet it goes up when 3.1 goes live.
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

ZvezdanD wrote: However, there are at least 5 better Windows media players and of course, I am not using MM as a player. There are better converters, there are better Audio CD rippers, there are better CD burners...
I would be very interested to know what media players you think are better so I could do a little testing of my own. While I do love MM I have found that there are other programs which do certain things better such as EAC for ripping.

If you're felling up to it you could throw in a couple of your other favorites too. :D

BTW MM Gold Lifetime with no intention of leaving.

Jim
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Oh well, you must be joking or you are too optimistic. OK, if you want to know about mentioned mantis and information which it contains, just visit the next thread: BUG#4972 Installation Packages [MM3] Here is the first post where some scripter (trixmoto) asked about a possibility to click on the "Find updates" button and to get an information if there is a new version of the script:
How is the UpdateURL going to work? Presumably it will always point to an XML file in a certain format? Are there any details about what this XML file should contain?
For your information, it was posted on Thu Sep 13, 2007. MM developers didn't responded on that question, neither to several further questions about same thing until Big_Berny haven't asked again about it on Tue Oct 21, 2008, almost whole year after the first question:
Any news about updateurl?
And now could you tell that this is not an ignorant attitude of MM developers to scripters? Whole year they had fake and not functional Find update button. Here is a question which I posted on Thu Oct 23, 2008 about Options button:

Code: Select all

what should be done to enable the Options button in the Extensions dialog box when I select my script?
Believe it or not, that Options button is still not functional and because of that the mentioned thread has [BUG] in its caption for a long time.