3.1 improvements over 3.0.7?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Nebbin

3.1 improvements over 3.0.7?

Post by Nebbin »

Are some people able to list the major improvements and features of version 3.1?

I tried looking through the mantis system, but found too much noise with all the bug fixes, and even when searching for specifics I couldn't find info on the topic I wanted (ie. classical tagging).

All I'm looking for is what major changes to expect when upgrading from 3.0.7 to 3.1, and what do they actually mean. For instance, what is full text search, and what does "improved tagging for classical music" mean (I can't seem to find any improvements in this area over 3.0.7)?

I wasn't involved in the beta testing, so I'm feeling a little lost as to what the changes are. Am I the only one? Have I missed something?
Lowlander

Re: 3.1 improvements over 3.0.7?

Post by Lowlander »

Full Text Search is an improvement to the search engine in MediaMonkey. It will now find matching results instead of only exact results. For example if you have an artist with an accent a search without the accent will find the artist. ie Motorhead will find Motörhead.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The search is also now configurable, you can choose what fields should be searched by default (its in the options). In 3.0 you could only search certain fields and it was not configurable. MediaMonkey can also now utilize multiple processors (for computers that have them) for increased performance in encoding and copying, etc. If you use any scripts, you'll definitely want to upgrade since scripters are now allowed much more functionality in terms of what their scripts can do, not to mention increased overall stability with scripts and the program overall. The podcast handling is much more reliable (certain podcasts could not be downloaded with MM) and the options for podcasts (when to update, etc.) have been expanded. The views are also more configurable now (ie the album art views in MM) and if you have a large database you may notice an increase in speed when navigating your collection because of various performance improvements.

I'd highly suggest upgrading, it only takes a few seconds to download the update, and installing it is extremely simple (just run the installer right over your current installation, all of your music data and settings will be preserved).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

Thanks Lowlander and nohitter151. It's always good to know what to expect when upgrading, otherwise I'll just continue to do the same things the same way I used to without utilising the benefits of the new code. Love the new search - been hoping for this for a while, and the podcast options are very useful. The performance, stability and scripting updates are also wholeheartedly welcome.

Any ideas about the changes Rusty mentioned to the Classical tagging? Are these the only major feature additions? Even if so, it's a great update.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Here are some of the features which users, myself included, found enjoyable during the beta testing cycle.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I also forgot to mention one of the bigger features added, which is the option to copy files when you auto organize, instead of just to move them. Of course the old way of doing it remains as well.

apekool

Post by apekool »

A very important question is, will MM 3.1. work while iTunes 8.2 is installed? You need 8.2. to upgrade iPhone firmware to O.S. 3.0.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

apekool wrote:A very important question is, will MM 3.1. work while iTunes 8.2 is installed? You need 8.2. to upgrade iPhone firmware to O.S. 3.0.
yup... http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=125

Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

nynaevelan wrote:Here are some of the features which users, myself included, found enjoyable during the beta testing cycle.
Nyn
Thanks for the link nynaevelan, sorry I didn't see it earlier... I hadn't realised there were so many new features (in addition to the many improvements). Still can't find anything on the improved tagging for classical music... maybe Rusty got it wrong in his release statement?
SDJeff

Post by SDJeff »

nohitter151 wrote:I also forgot to mention one of the bigger features added, which is the option to copy files when you auto organize, instead of just to move them. Of course the old way of doing it remains as well.
Thank you!
Impulse

Post by Impulse »

Sweet, wish they'd added that multi-threaded capability earlier (as in, when I was recently ripping a large chunk of my music collection to FLAC then converting it to MP3) but oh well... Glad it's there nonetheless! MM continues to get better and better.