Format decision help please

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Double D

Format decision help please

Post by Double D »

Media Monkey converts .aac & .m4a
What is the difference? Aren't they both AAC format ? I converted a couple samples (from a few wma sample tracks I have), the file size was identical but the bit rate was very slightly less w/ .m4a

Is it true AAC is superior to MP3, but that MP3 is more commonly supported? (Most of my music is 256K VBR MP3)

I've also been considering a lossless format, like ALAC (apple lossless), to get the best quality. I downloaded the FLAC thing but its interface scared me away quick, doesn't look easy to use for a newbie.

Also, I'm curious what is you fav. format , at which bit rate & why?

Thanks for your response.
Dennis
nohitter151

Re: Format decision help please

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I prefer MP3 and FLAC. MP3 as you said has a lot wider support, and at quality setting -V0 (similar to your 256 vbr) I find it good enough in most circumstances. I use FLAC for all new media since: 1. it seems to be the more widely supported lossless format across different players and applications (eg. Sony audio editing products, and Native Instruments Traktor DJ), 2. space is less of an issue these days, and 3. it is much better for editing & re-saving without loosing quality.

I convert to mp3 for portable players, although AAC is possibly a better choice...
Alkjeks

Post by Alkjeks »

Repost of my answer in your doublepost:

I can't answer most of your questions, but I use OGG VORBIS mostly because it has better sound quality than mp3 per bitrate (my source is an audio-dude from an other forum, analyzing both mp3 and ogg with advanced tools), and my portable media player plays OGG. When I rip CD's, I rip to lossless FLAC and lossy OGG VORBIS VBR ~256 kbps. The lossy is good enough quality for playback, and FLAC is for digital CD backup.

What about FLAC scared you away? It looks harmless for me :)
Double D

Post by Double D »

I might give flac a second look. Can you convert a flac file to any lossy codec (for portable players) or just MP3?
Besides media monkey is there any other (easy to use) software that allows you to rip CDs to flac?

As far as playback in concerned, on a PC. What are my software options? What do you use & why?
Alkjeks

Post by Alkjeks »

You can convert FLAC to MP3, OGG or WMA with MediaMonkey. I don't know other ripping programs ripping to FLAC, I just use MediaMonkey. I don't think it can be easier to rip than it is with MediaMonkey. I just click Ctrl+Shift+R and off we go (need to setup first time). Before MediMonkey I used Audiograpper. Don't know if Audiograpper rip to FLAC, or if it even still excists.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for ripping CD's to FLAC, but it's not always the easiest app to set up. EAC gives you better error correction and a peace of mind that the tracks are ripped accurately.

FLAC, as any lossless audio codec, can be converted to any other format you have the codec for, but with MM you can convert it to the formats Alkjeks listed above. Some people prefer the lossless codec "Monkey's Audio" (APE) because it gives slightly more compression than FLAC, but I haven't found it as widely supported. The "Hydrogen Audio" site, as nohitter151 listed, is a great place to go for researching audio codec options, and they even provide some help on setting up EAC correctly.